We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Company paid my pension twice

Options
2»

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just because someone is a newbie is not an excuse to try it on.
    Sorry that is my opinion - would he be better off if we had given him false hope and said that he could keep the money?
    Please get real here.
  • Dunnit
    Dunnit Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    If he wants to continue working in banking (assuming he is relying on some sort of reference) he will work the repayment side out himself.

Why were the payments different? They may well have made another mistake.
  • srcandas
    srcandas Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just because someone is a newbie is not an excuse to try it on.
    Sorry that is my opinion - would he be better off if we had given him false hope and said that he could keep the money?
    Please get real here.

Don't be sorry about your opinion. My point was several regular givers here gave their advice and opinion fairly, factually but with humanity - but at the same time stated the case.

Others chose the big stick. "Then you are a crook". The question is what good did that do? Nothing but move the OP from accepting wise advice to being offended.

Is the object of this forum to beat sense into the lesser educated, lesser experienced and/or lesser wise? Or is the approach of the more restrained contributors here possibly likely to lead to a better world?

Enjoy your bank holiday one and all (including those overseas who perhaps don't have one :D). :beer:
    I believe past performance is a good guide to future performance :beer:
  • eastofeden
    eastofeden Posts: 225 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Less educated, less experienced, less wise.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm confused, aren't the contributions only taken back by the employer if the employee withdraws from the pension, therefore taking their contributions back? As I understand the options the OP had were:

1. Remain in the pension, retain all of their contributions, the employers contributions and the tax relief
    2. Transfer their pot to another pension provider, retaining all of their contributions, the employers contributions and the tax relief
    3. Withdraw from the pension (cancel it) and get their contributions refunded to them

If the employee had remained with the employer for a few more weeks (therefore going into 2 years of service) option number 3 would have been removed. They would not have gained anything, they would have only lost an option. Surely they gained by leaving a few days before 2 years of service, because they had 3 options not 2. As I understand it an employer cannot just take back the contributions they've made to an employees pension, it can only happen if the employee opts to cancel the pension (within 2 years for most pension plans?).

If this is the case, where is the injustice, or have I misunderstood?
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ksewil wrote: »
    ... makes me feel no moral obligation what so ever to return the money

This is obviously some strange meaning of the word "moral" which I wasn't previously aware of.

Please explain.
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Another one destined to be hard up in retirement because they've spent tomorrow's money today.

Most banks at least double the value of pension contributions. That money has been lost forever.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    thenudeone wrote: »
    This is obviously some strange meaning of the word "moral" which I wasn't previously aware of.

Please explain.

I think the logic is: X Institution has, at least in my perception, treated me badly

Therefore I am not bound by normal rules when dealing with them.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Firstly the guy is a newbie and he has been given an avatar to reflect this.

That doesnt appear on every forum skin. Plus, what has being a newbie got to do with morality and honesty?
    Is the object of this forum to beat sense into the lesser educated, lesser experienced and/or lesser wise?

You know that could read as if you are saying it about the OP ;)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport