NHS Pension

Options
Just need some advice. My wife is a part-time nurse in the NHS. Many years ago she was in the NHS pension scheme (over 20 years ago) and didn't work for several years when we had small children. That money just stayed as a pot in itself that never got topped up. She has just signed up to a new plan within the NHS scheme, but I'm wondering if it's really worth it. She is nearly 48, works just 20 hours a week, but is being deducted £115 per month from her salary, although there has been a corresponding reduction in tax deducted. The pension deducted is based on 9.3% of her gross. We are paying off debts and it has meant a drop in what was going into our bank up to last month. In view of the number of years she has left in the labour market, I'm wondering if its really worth it when we could do with the extra funds, and for what we may or may not actually get when old. I would welcome any advice anyone can give before we decide whether or not to let it continue. Or would we be just as well to cancel? Many thanks

Comments

• hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Many years ago she was in the NHS pension scheme (over 20 years ago) and didn't work for several years when we had small children. That money just stayed as a pot in itself that never got topped up.

The value of her deferred benefits will have increased by inflation every year, and is guaranteed by statute.
    She has just signed up to a new plan within the NHS scheme, but I'm wondering if it's really worth it.
    Yes it is.
    She is nearly 48
    Some time off retirement then.
    works just 20 hours a week,
    So, she's firmly over 50% full time.
    but is being deducted £115 per month from her salary, although there has been a corresponding reduction in tax deducted. The pension deducted is based on 9.3% of her gross.
    Comparable benefits in a private pension would be costing her three times that. The contribution rate as an absolute figure may not be low, but it is earning very valuable pension benefits.
    In view of the number of years she has left in the labour market,
    Quite a few? Especially if the household has debts...
    I'm wondering if its really worth it when we could do with the extra funds, and for what we may or may not actually get when old.
    As a statutory scheme benefits in the NHS pension scheme are guaranteed by law. What makes you think benefits currently being accrued won't be honoured?
    Or would we be just as well to cancel?
    Er, no.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I would welcome any advice anyone can give before we decide whether or not to let it continue. Or would we be just as well to cancel? Many thanks

If she was to cancel, it would rank as the worst financial decision your wife would ever make.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
  • Wilkins
    Wilkins Posts: 444 Forumite
    Options
    I would welcome any advice anyone can give before we decide whether or not to let it continue. Or would we be just as well to cancel? Many thanks
    Giving up an inflation-linked DB pension would be insane.
  • warrior1960
    warrior1960 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I was basically testing the water and you've confirmed the wisdom of us staying in. She has the option of combining it with the one she had over 20 years ago and which has been dormant.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    She has the option of combining it with the one she had over 20 years ago and which has been dormant.

You will need to carefully consider if this is a good idea or not. It may be possible that it's better to leave the two separate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure