Settlement offer for debt of £6,180

Options
Good evening all, I have a old existing loan from 4 years ago with HSBC for £6,180 I received a letter from a company called MK Recoveries today asking me to contact them to arrange a repayment plan, this is the first correspondence I have had with this company and am yet to reply. But I was considering my options and was looking for some advice on what would be acceptable to offer as a full settlement in relation to this debt any advice greatly recieved. Thanks

Comments

• stig.of.the.dump_2
    Options
    First question I would ask myself, Can I afford to make them an offer of Settlement.??
    Then the second question would be to them, how much would they be willing too accept.If you are both agreeable to the fiqure pay it and you have got rid of one debt.
  • Bagpuss102002
    Options
    The only problem I have is I'm guessing they will say we will accept £4,000 or something like that which I don't have I was just wandering what a realistic figure would be and what they would have originally paid for the debt.
  • eyeopener2
    eyeopener2 Posts: 1,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Go in low, say about £2k and see what the reaction is. Don't try and second guess them. Then pop it up to 2.5k if it's a straight forward No. You never know your luck.

There are some great template letters on the national debtline website.

Get and Do everything in writing.
    I'm Debt Free :j 2/09/2013
    Debt at LBM 30/04/2010 £24,109.38,
  • Monkeyballs
    Monkeyballs Posts: 1,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Go in low, be realistic about what you can afford and be prepared to negotiate BUT remember to get a copy of the settlement offer in writing stating it is a full & final settlement and no other payments will be sought, etc on headed paper from them and receipt of payment :)

For me, on a £6180 debt I'd start at maybe £1.5k (so about 25%) but expect to settle on between £2-3k.

MB
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,905 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Good evening all, I have a old existing loan from 4 years ago with HSBC for £6,180 I received a letter from a company called MK Recoveries today asking me to contact them to arrange a repayment plan, this is the first correspondence I have had with this company and am yet to reply. But I was considering my options and was looking for some advice on what would be acceptable to offer as a full settlement in relation to this debt any advice greatly recieved. Thanks

Hi,
    Before you do anything else, send them this letter in order for them to prove they own the debt, and its yours :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247

it will keep them quiet for a while, while they gather the required evidence, I would do this even though you already know its yours, could put you in a better position, after they produce the evidence I would start at 30% and take it from there, its all about negotiation.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello there,

I understand that you are trying to look at all options to deal with this debt and full and final settlements can be a good option if you have a lump sum available. If you dont actually have the money available and would need to take out more finance in order to do make this offer then I would probably advise against this. However, if family and friends are helping then this may be ok. There is no minimum offer so it is a case of using the money that is available.

When doing full and final it is normally better to pick an offer you are comfortable with and try to stick with it. Sometimes, when you increase your offer this can make negotiations harder because the creditor doesnt know your genuine limit. It is important to get all of the details of your settlement agreed in writing before you send any money. You may find our sample letter quite useful if you decide to go ahead with your offer.

Here is a link to our factsheet and sample letter.

Best Wishes,

Laura @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Options
    Send prove it letter first.

Also, when did you last make a payment?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts