Impetigo - can you swim if you have it?

Options
My 3 year old son has impetigo and is on medicine for it - just 2 sores at the moment, nothing else has come up. I was wondering if he can swim with it? He is petrified of the water but over the last few days has been asking to go and wanted to go early morning while it was quiet and grab the bull by the horns and see if he will get into the water without the usual screaming fits. I was not sure if I could take him while he has Impetigo though. Any ideas?

Comments

• cheekymole
    cheekymole Posts: 3,416 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/childrenshealth/203872.html

sorry but it looks like he'll have to wait

I really sympathise, I had it when I was 14 and it was awful, I still have a sharing towels phobia!
    I haven't got one!
  • Alex_of_Swansea
    Options
    Preferably not, sorry. I had impetigo at school and was barred from gym classes and had to cover all sores at all times. Sorry monkey.
  • blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    Options
    Ah, that's a shame. Just typical - spend 3 years trying to get him IN and when he wants to go in he can't!! Never mind, he will have to wait until next weekend. Thanks. Thought it was better to ask rather than wait to get there and be told we could not go in.
  • blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    Options
    Rather interesting though - net doctor says

How is impetigo treated?

If you suspect impetigo, contact your GP as treatment should take place preferably before the child infects other children.

The treatment involves washing with soap and water and letting the impetigo dry in the air.

Many GPs choose to treat impetigo with bactericidal ointment, such as fusidic acid (Fucidin) or mupirocin (Bactroban), but in more severe cases oral antibiotics, such as flucloxacillin (eg Floxapen) or erythromycin (eg Erythrocin) are necessary.

It is important to dissolve the scabs with ointment because the bacteria that cause the disease live underneath them.

But he only has 2 spots, one on his hand and the other half in and out of the nostril. And it says they need cream but the doc never gave me any cream, just the fluxicillin medicine. Strange.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure