Basic query

Options
I had always assumed that I would get my basic state pension irrespective of other pensions. A colleague has told me that her father gets his state pension reduced by the amount of his private pension, or, say a private pension of £200 a month means his state pension is reduced by £200. Surely this isn't right? She's adamant it is and therefore doesn't pay into a pension as she wouldn't end up any better off?? I'm paying over £5,000 a yr into a private pension!?

Comments

• Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Adamant she may be, but she's also wrong.

What may be happening is that her father is on State Pension plus pension credit and the pension credit may be at a reduced amount because of his private pension.

With the change to single tier pension, pension credit largely disappears, so she is doing an excellent job of shooting herself in the foot. One of the whole points behind the single tier pension is to avoid the kind of situation her father is in and to try and make sure that it pretty well always pays to pay into a pension.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A colleague has told me that her father gets his state pension reduced by the amount of his private pension, or, say a private pension of £200 a month means his state pension is reduced by £200. Surely this isn't right?

If your colleagues father contracted out of SERPS/S2P then the additional state pension is reduced. However, the basic state pension is unchanged. However, personal provision is increased because of the rebates that went to the personal pension during the years he was contracted out. i.e. instead of the state paying the additional state pension, the personal pension does instead.

If your colleagues father was in a defined benefit pension, the part of the pension can be linked to contracting out (although same name, it works differently in occupational pensions). He would have paid lower NI and the occupational pension covers the bit that the additional state pension would have paid out (very simplified explanation as there is more to it than that).

Personal contributions (e.g. your direct debit or employer contriubtion) into a pension have no impact on the state pension.
    She's adamant it is and therefore doesn't pay into a pension as she wouldn't end up any better off??

A case of 2+2=5. She is making the wrong assumptions and because of that she is making the wrong decision.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had always assumed that I would get my basic state pension irrespective of other pensions. A colleague has told me that her father gets his state pension reduced by the amount of his private pension?

There's an old-fashioned style of Final Salary pension that promised (say) £10,000 p.a. from state retirement age of 65. However with a scheme retirement age of 60 it payed out more to 60-65 year-olds to compensate them for the state pension they weren't yet getting. So it might pay out, for example, £15k p.a. for 60-65, then £10k thereafter p.a. In other words, it "bridged the gap" to age 65. Maybe that's what her father has and she's just misunderstood his complaints.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    She's adamant it is and therefore doesn't pay into a pension as she wouldn't end up any better off???

:doh:

I do not want to be in the room when she finds out that she has sabotaged her retirement in potentially irreparable ways! Hopefully she invested the money elsewhere and didn't just spend it...
  • costingbunny_2
    costingbunny_2 Posts: 305 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all. I knew she was wrong but didn't want to say anything. If state pensions were reduced by any private pension no one would bother! Oh well, least I know I'm ok with my private pension. Ta
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure