Moorcroft Debt Recovery - Help!

This morning my partner received a letter from Moorcroft demanding £4954.36 and have given him 5 days to pay in full! In the letter they are threatening with more letters, phone calls and people coming round to my home to discuss the account. They also talk about getting another agency involved. This is the first letter we have received from them so how can they ask for the whole amount in 5 days? Are they a threat to be scared of? Must also mention the letter is written in comic sans and arrived in a yellow envelope if it was me i'd have thrown it away thinking it would be junk mail. Should we worry? We are in NO state to pay back in full and really in no state to make any reasonable repayments, unless they will take £1 a month for 5000 months..

Replies

• Hi,
    Really sorry to read your post.
    I have had contact with them in the past. I can only recommend calling the number and talking to them and arranging a plan to pay the money back. If you can only pay £1 a month for 5000 months then fine, they'll have no other choice but to accept it. At least you would be making a dent in the debt.
    There is a lot of scare tactics in their letters but please just communicate with them.
  • rizla_kingrizla_king Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    What sort of debt and when is it from?
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... :) <
    SIGNATURE - Not part of post
  • The debt is Barclays finance and I think it is about a year old.
  • rizla_kingrizla_king Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Just offer what you can afford then and don't allow them to bully you into more.
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... :) <
    SIGNATURE - Not part of post
  • National_DebtlineNational_Debtline Has MSE’s permission to post for company Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representatives
    Hi,
    Really sorry to read your post.
    I have had contact with them in the past. I can only recommend calling the number and talking to them and arranging a plan to pay the money back. If you can only pay £1 a month for 5000 months then fine, they'll have no other choice but to accept it. At least you would be making a dent in the debt.
    There is a lot of scare tactics in their letters but please just communicate with them.

Hi there

Communicate, yes, but make sure you do so in a way that works best for you. There is no real point in you (i.e. your partner) calling them unless they have first worked out a financial statement that justifies the offer you are making, whether it is £1 or £100. I know they have given a 5-day deadline but this is one of the oldest tricks used by debt collectors - an artificial sense of urgency.

Alternatively, the offer could be made in writing - there are plenty of letter templates on this site and elsewhere that can be used. Negotiating in writing makes it harder for the creditor to pressurise you into unaffordable payment arrangements, and allows you to work out an offer on your terms.

Feel free to use the budget template and sample letters from our website:

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/

Regards

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Ignore these goons.

log in online and fill out the I&E form and make sure the money you have left is £0.00.

Click "submit" and they will go away.

Or you could write to them with the proove it letter.

You will notice on all they hamster bedding they send to you that they use the words "may" "might" "could" "concider".

they will never say they WILL do anything. All just empty, pathetic theats.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals