random stat barred question

Options
something i have been wondering since visiting these boards

when does a joint account become statute barred?

eg couple take out a joint unsecured loan on 1/1/2000 the final payment is made on the 31/12/2000 with an amount owing.

if neither of them make a payment it is statute barred on the 1/1/2007

if partner A makes a payment during that time does it also reset the clock for partner B?

if it went to court then could B successfully argue that as they have not made a payment then it is statute barred for them and not partner A?

(this is presuming neither make an acknowledgement in writing)

any ideas?
The only people I have to answer to are my beautiful babies aged 8 and 5

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    No, a payment made by either liable person resets the clock for BOTH them.

It is different for acknowlements, where an acknowledgement by either liable person only resets the clock for the person who made the acknowledgement, not the other person.

That can seem an odd way for it to work depending on how you look at it, but that is what the legislation says on the matter.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • double_mummy
    double_mummy Posts: 3,989 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks fermi :)
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello there,

If there were no payments or acknowledgements, the date that the debt became statute barred is likely to be a month or two after the 1st January 2007. It is generally the case that a creditor will not be able to sue for the full amount under the contract until it has breached. The terms of the contract usually state that they are able to claim that the loan has been breached once a couple of payments have been missed. I hope this makes sense. We expand on this point within our Limitation Act fact sheet.

Best wishes,

David @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • double_mummy
    double_mummy Posts: 3,989 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hey david thanks

i was just using that as a rough example for my question but any extra knowledge is always good :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport