New Pension rules query

Options
I contacted my Personal Pension plan people and asked them if I can take a 25% tax free lump sum. They said I could but I would have to buy an annuity with the remainder. I didn't want to do this, as I wanted to be able to take the other 75% next April. So the only option I had was to wait until next April when I can withdraw 25% tax free and the other 75% at marginal tax rate.My question is. If I was to take the 25% now and take out an annuity with the remaining 75% come next April could I take the remaining funds that are left in the plan. :think:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    How much money is in the pot? Also how old are you?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    f I was to take the 25% now and take out an annuity with the remaining 75% come next April could I take the remaining funds that are left in the plan.

No. The 75% would have bought the annuity.

You could look at unsecured income options though, including capped drawdown.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • PensionTech
    PensionTech Posts: 711 Forumite
    Options
    Actually you may be able to take the 25% now and leave the 75% invested until next year. You usually have a maximum period of 6 months between taking the PCLS and then using the rest of the fund for income, but HMRC has recently increased this period to 18 months - so you will have until October/November 2015 to take the rest of your benefits, by which time you can take advantage of the new flexibilities.

This is however subject to your scheme allowing you to do this.

If you'd like to read HMRC's guidance, you can find it by Googling HMRC pension flexibility guidance - I can't post links yet!
    I am a Technical Analyst at a third-party pension administration company. My job is to interpret rules and legislation and provide technical guidance, but I am not a lawyer or a qualified advisor of any kind and anything I say on these boards is my opinion only.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure