Commencement lump sum pension

Options
My sister is about to receive £7300 from her private pension. She has no savings, but is in receipt of ESA. She needs to spend money on her home. I know she is allowed to have £6000 in savings. Can she use the other £1300 on carpets etc or will this automatically be deducted from her benefits?

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My sister is about to receive £7300 from her private pension.

Will she also be receiving a regular pension?

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/eligibility
    She needs to spend money on her home. I know she is allowed to have £6000 in savings. Can she use the other £1300 on carpets etc or will this automatically be deducted from her benefits?

This would seem to depend on whether this can be regarded as normal expenditure or deliberate deprivation of capital to receive/continue to receive/increase entitlement to means tested benefits?
  • nina_simone
    Options
    She will receive a private pension which will automatically be deducted from her means tested benefits. She just wondered if she should take the extra £1300 which would go a long way to sort her home out, or just take the £6000, and put up with her living conditions.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you'd get more informed answers on one of the benefits boards. Sorry.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree, but if the home was in a state, and the carpets many years old it could fly I think.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure