advice needed

Gselby
Gselby Posts: 4 Newbie
bare with me this is a bit of a story....

a friend of mine took out a fire purchase agreement with her boy friend a couple of years ago, they then split, he took the car but her name was on the agreement, he has since defaulted on the agreement. He also sold the car whilst it still had finance owing on it, the finance company are now chasing her for the debt.

it appears she has had correspondence from them previously but the ex stated he would sprt it out so she has disregarded it (buried her head in the sand).

she has now recieved a termination notice persuant to a default notice already served to them.

she has now recieved a letter stating she is no longer in possession of that car with their consent (even though she hasnt got it and the ex has sold it).

What can she do? what will the finance company do?

Ive told her she needs to speak to someone ie a solicitor or citizens advice at the evry least, i was just wondering if anyone had any advice on here?

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Gselby wrote: »
    He also sold the car whilst it still had finance owing on it, the finance company are now chasing her for the debt.

If this was HP then the car was not his to sell. I am surprised that the buyer did not check if there was any outstanding finance as I believe the finance company can take the car back

Was the agreement in joint names?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport