Overdraft Charges

Options
Hi, I recently wrote a thread about my money troubles in the forum...

'Please help 15k debt'

I didn't mention I have over the last 2 years had overdraft charges from HSBC of over £600 which I wrote to hsbc using a template from this website asking for it to be returned due to financial hardship. But the replied saying they don't feel the did anything wrong, etc. is there anything else I can do to 'twist their arm'? As this money, or even some of it would be a huge boost.

Many thanks,
BJF

Comments

• FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    No.

Overdrafts are and will always remain, an exceedingly expensive form of long term borrowing. You were made aware of the Ts&Cs when you agreed to it and were granted your OD by the bank.

Why do you imagine that they will give you the money back?
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • bjf93
    bjf93 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having read the website, I was under the impress banks may be lenient in times of financial harship
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    bjf93 wrote: »
    Having read the website, I was under the impress banks may be lenient in times of financial harship

You can of course ask (you can ask for anything :) )

They don't however have to do anything. I would say no one incurs bank charges because they want to, so everyone who incurs a bank charge is in financial hardship (maybe only for that day, or that hour, but at that point in time they do not have enough money)

When you say charges do you mean a charge simply for having an OD, or for going over your agreed OD, or the interest? Sometimes the charges are returned (I got one returned recently because I simply mismanaged my money (had money in another account) and because I hadnt had any for 12 months the returned it.
  • bjf93
    bjf93 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can of course ask (you can ask for anything :) )

They don't however have to do anything. I would say no one incurs bank charges because they want to, so everyone who incurs a bank charge is in financial hardship (maybe only for that day, or that hour, but at that point in time they do not have enough money)

When you say charges do you mean a charge simply for having an OD, or for going over your agreed OD, or the interest? Sometimes the charges are returned (I got one returned recently because I simply mismanaged my money (had money in another account) and because I hadnt had any for 12 months the returned it.

Thanks for your reply...

The charges are for going below £0! HSBC allow you to go under £10 overdrawn without any charges, but anything over I've had charges ranging from £17 to £75 a month. And they won't allow me to have an overdraft at all, not Now I've got my money under control and my debts being paid off or not even when I had a good credit rating
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,979 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    They will normally return a charge, if you have not asked in the previous 12 months, however, I suspect you may of asked them more frequently ? they are not obliged to refund you anything, but if you can prove financial hardship, ie, you do not have money for food, rent etc, you may have a case to get them to look at it again or take to the ombudsman.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Gazzer24
    Options
    bjf93 wrote: »
    Hi, I recently wrote a thread about my money troubles in the forum...

'Please help 15k debt'

I didn't mention I have over the last 2 years had overdraft charges from HSBC of over £600 which I wrote to hsbc using a template from this website asking for it to be returned due to financial hardship. But the replied saying they don't feel the did anything wrong, etc. is there anything else I can do to 'twist their arm'? As this money, or even some of it would be a huge boost.

Many thanks,
    BJF
    Not sure if this is right place it write this, but can anyone answer my question please. Can banks charge you charges if you are on benifets , DLA and ESA . Ty any help would be good
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Gazzer24 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is right place it write this, but can anyone answer my question please. Can banks charge you charges if you are on benifets , DLA and ESA . Ty any help would be good

Ah yes, of course they can. It is all money, they dont care where it comes from. What types of charges are you having problems with? Current account fees, or OD charges?
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills