I see a glimmer of light ...

Options
Oh my goodness, just wanted to say how amazing this site is.

I am not a regular poster and have been on and off the site since 2008 but finally the S has hit the F and I needed to get a grip. In desperation I came back on as a regular two and a half weeks ago and this has been enough to kick-start me into action, stop the mid-month over-spend (too much month left at the end of the money, know what I mean?) and halt the spending into next month's salary. Anybody done that "Oh I'll get it now and cut back next month" thing?

I can report:

1. For the first time since I can remember my bank statement has finally shown that the money coming in is (albeit ever so slightly) greater this month than what has gone out. Yay!! Ok, it is only about £50 but it is a start and this is even before I've had a full month to start my new thrifty,money-saving, content-with-what you've-got habits! I am very hopeful and now extremely motivated to start afresh this month.

2. I created a SOA and a Budget Brain budget. It is a brilliant resource and has little annotations that encourage you to look at cheaper deals etc. On the back of that, I managed to shift some debt from a 2.9% annual interest rate (yep, I know) to a 0% card and get a cheaper energy deal within the space of a few days.

3. Thanks to the stoic advice from those lovelies over in the pensions forum I've stopped the stupid thoughts of cashing-in my pension to pay the debt - and leave myself destitute on retirement.

I know I am not out of the woods by a long shot. I also know from bitter experience how easy it is to fall off the wagon - but I am trying, I really am, and determined this time. No more time left, I'm at a stage in my life where it's now or resign myself to the dire consequences later.

I am struggling with my demons as I write - the urge to shop and purge is metaphorically killing me but we are not our thoughts

Anyone who's had a LBM but can't see a way out - take heart, stay on here and take the good advice of these great people and stick at it!

Comments

• Karonher
    Karonher Posts: 916 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done with what you have done so far.

If you have the SOA already made up, some one on here may be able to see where other cuts can be made.
    Aiming to make £7,500 online in 2022
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport