Need to find a basic easy to use computer

My father has a computer- it was my old computer which was broken but just about worked, he didn't get it fixed and now it has broken beyond repair.

I am trying to find another computer for him because it is the main way he seems to stay in contact with anyone- he has a phone but can never find it, or charge it or sometimes he turns it off...

He uses his computer mainly for the internet (email, google, bbc sites) and his needs are quite basic, he has ideas on photoshop but tbh I don't think it will ever happen (but if it was available as extra for an affordable price).

I have no idea what to really suggest or where is best to go for- I'm a bit anti-Dell as I've been let down before by them but any other brands are an option.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 April 2014 at 8:26PM
    Many of the computer parts selling sites have pre built PC's for sale. eBuyer,

A low end dual core CPU from Intel or AMD.
    He probably only needs decent/recent onboard graphics from Intel or AMD, possibly a VGA connector or converter from DVI-I but make sure that there is one available, if he intends using his current monitor. The graphics usually help with decoding video which for Hi Def video helps a lot. Any recent or previous generation onboard graphics can do this well.

A keyboard and mouse or he could reuse the ones he has. Memory 4 GB is more than enough but would require a 64 bit version of windows to use it all. Obviously windows x64 64 bit would be needed, windows 7 if he can get it, I would not bother with windows 8. Win 7 x64 adds about £80 for the Home version.

Hard drive of 500GB should be enough and a small SSD would speed things up but would add to the cost, about £35-£40 for a small one 64GB.

You might be able to find a used PC on eBay or local PC shop or those cash places.

Or maybe a laptop - I dislike them lol

Have a look on Amazon, their return policy is pretty decent and the reviews can be helpful even if the details and specifications are very poorly listed/displayed.

There are many basic systems with no operating system for £150 to £200.

A better used PC could be purchased for around the same price and might have windows.

http://www.ebuyer.com/613262-acer-aspire-xc-603-desktop-pc-dt-sulek-004

I have not checked this very well so do not jump into it! It might not have all that you need. There is no operating system.
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Apples can't be beaten for ease of use. Not cheap but you may be able to find a good secondhand one locally or on ebay.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 May 2014 at 5:12PM
    I'd suggest a chromebook, everything done online, no need to worry about anti virus etc. Use Pixlr editor instead of photoshop.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Pun wrote: »
    Apples can't be beaten for ease of use. Not cheap but you may be able to find a good secondhand one locally or on ebay.
    Thanks, he has the money for this but is far to miserly to ever buy Apple, he has my own computer which I told him to repair as it was broken, only he didn't want to spend the money on it so continued to use it broken, well it's well and truly gone now- he is too miserly for his own good, a Mac has no chance!
  • jenniewb
    boatman wrote: »
    I'd suggest a chromebook, everything done online, no need to worry about anti virus etc. Use Pixlr editor instead of photoshop.
    He can't get to grips with tablets, laptops or anything similar, has to has a desktop, he has to "see" it too so one of those all-in-one's wont do, he'll just complain he feels shafted! He is quite a simple man and likes to see product for his spend, the spend-less-for-more thing doesn't wash with him.
  • A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    He might find it rewarding to build one himself. Maybe buy a small bundle and put it together. Ask him whether he likes the idea and find out whether he would like to do that. ;)

What parts does he have ATM? Monitor, keyboard/mouse, operating system etc? Chances are they are not recent so some of it might not be usable unless you can find some older parts. Computer shops, exchange places or computer markets often sell parts quite cheaply but you do have to be careful because some often like selling sold as seen or untested ie not working. Pay us a few quid for these scrap parts.
  • jenniewb
    He might find it rewarding to build one himself. Maybe buy a small bundle and put it together. Ask him whether he likes the idea and find out whether he would like to do that. ;)

What parts does he have ATM? Monitor, keyboard/mouse, operating system etc? Chances are they are not recent so some of it might not be usable unless you can find some older parts. Computer shops, exchange places or computer markets often sell parts quite cheaply but you do have to be careful because some often like selling sold as seen or untested ie not working. Pay us a few quid for these scrap parts.

Thanks for the tip- I think if he built it himself it would feel rewarding, but he is one of the laziest people I know- it's unlikely he'd even get around to reading what he needs let alone putting it together!

He is using my old Dell computer, it was a Dimension C512 or something like that, very old, had Vista and ran incredibly slowly when I had it, he was instructed (by me) to get it repaired but couldn't get his act together to take it to the computer repair shop at the end of the road, so it's possibly beyond repair now as it shorts out quite a bit, freezes at least once a day when he tries to use it and 'doesn't do' the iplayer. I have suggested he takes it to the shop to see what they can make of it but have pre-warned it probably isn't going to get that much better and to look for something which works.

I have to be honest, that computer alone put me off Dell for life, I was 14 months into using it when they ran one of their tests on it and told me it had registry issues and needed many new expensive parts and storage. I had one issue after another and have since bought another brand and can't get over how decent a computer it is in comparison so I wouldn't put it past Dell having sold me a pile of junk to make money and possibly a beyond repair pile of junk.
  • valacky
    valacky Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Maybe you could check your local paper or sites like gumtree/vivastreet? This way you can go and view the pc before commiting to buy, unlike Ebay.

Tip: Try to buy from a pet and smoke free home. PC's suck in lots of air to keep cool and nicotine leaves a greasy coating which then gets covered in fluff and hair.

Try to remember to clear the cache at least once a week. This will help keep it running faster.
  • closed
    closed Posts: 10,886 Forumite
    edited 6 June 2014 at 3:32PM
  • jenniewb
    edited 6 June 2014 at 4:42PM
    closed wrote: »

First were for me, I bought my computer 2 years ago, did use the advice thanks, did my own research as a result of the help I had on here, made my decision and handed my old pretty much broken computer to my dad to fix. He didn't fix it, it is now utterly broken and he has admitted defeat. He needs a new one and I was again hoping for advice which is why I asked on here.

My dad's needs are not the same as mine- I over use my computer and have it running most of the time. My dad just wants to clock into it every few days, read up on his email and catch the odd bbc radio 3 or 4 show on the iplayer. He cannot get on with laptops or tablets, he wants a sit-down and look at the screen computer- he doesn't do touch screens, gimmicks or flashing lights, he just wants a basic computer to do pretty simple stuff and one screen at a time (I have around 11 pages up at the moment on IE and Chrome and that's just an average day for me). The questions I have asked previously were all useful hence me returning again to ask another question about my dad rather than myself. I'm done, I have my computer now.

Thankyou for being so interested as to follow my every question- no really -I never thought I mattered as much as to have a fan! I don't consider myself at all an interesting person but hey, if you wanted an autograph...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure