council tax balance is wrong

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
4 replies 972 views
BadBehaviourBadBehaviour Forumite
302 Posts
On paying the instalment due for 1 May, I realized the balance hasn't been updated with the payment we made last month, when the new bill was issued, and is still showing as £1145.41 (the total charge for the year).

I can see in the online bank statement that payment went through fine on 21 March.

I am gonna email them, attaching a screenshot of the transaction, but they would have sent us a letter by now, if they hadn't received the payment I think.
Can I be sure this won't cause problems?

Replies

• fed_up_and_stressedfed_up_and_stressed Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Council Tax year runs April -march, so i expect the payment you made in march was the final payment for the council tax year which ended on 31st march.
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
  • edited 24 April 2014 at 11:29PM
    302 Posts
    edited 24 April 2014 at 11:29PM
    That payment of £110.41 was for the instalment due on 1 April, as shown in the new bill. So, you're saying all's ok?

Just wanted to add that we pay by 10 instalments.
  • edited 24 April 2014 at 11:36PM
    fed_up_and_stressedfed_up_and_stressed Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 24 April 2014 at 11:36PM
    Suggest you speak to the council and clarify the balance directly with them.

Usually by paying over 10 months its feb and march no payments are made So if you paid on 21st march it sounds like maybe there was a missed payment somewhere.

Speak to them to confirm.
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
  • edited 25 April 2014 at 12:06AM
    302 Posts
    edited 25 April 2014 at 12:06AM
    We didn't miss any payment.

Last payment made for the previous bill was made by 1 January. Then we got the new bill in March and I paid the £110.41 by 1 Apr as shown on the bill, but this has not been deducted from the total charge from 1 Apr 2014 to 31 March 2015 of £1145.41.

This bill is showing the last payment has to be made by 1 January 2015.

I did email them, so will see what they say, but we for sure haven't missed any payment and can prove it with bank statements.

I paid on 21 March the instalment due on 1 Apr on the new bill.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals