Do you have a Bosch Dishwasher Variodrawer?

Options
Are they worth the extra £100?

I'm buying my first dishwasher and the idea of a drawer to wash cutlery rather than the stand up basket makes sense to me - more space in the rack instead of the basket.

Looking at this one - however I could get a Bosch with a cutlery basket for much less money.

Any thoughts received. :D
Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?

Comments

• druzif
    druzif Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    My dishwasher has a separate cutlery section. You can keep each piece separate and they don't fall together leaving bits of crusty food.

But I'd ask yourself this question.

Obviously cutlery goes in the basket handle down (if you don't do it this way you are a fool). So are you happy for people to take out the clean cutlery by grabbing the eating end with their grubby hands?

Answer that question, and you will also have the answer to your cutlery drawer question too.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes I have but I wouldn't pay £100 more, the ones with the vario drawer tend to be the higher spec models, most of the extra features you don't use anyway. The main advantage I see is less scratches to cutlery.
  • toffifee
    toffifee Posts: 237 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got a Miele with a separate cutlery drawer and I love it. You can get more cutlery in (nicely spaced out) than you can into a basket, it leaves more room in the bottom tray for big things, and you can put small things on the top level without them getting moved around during the washing cycle. It was brilliant when the kids were still using toddler cups - the lids and spouts could all go into the top level.

Having said all of that, prices seem to have shot up since we bought ours and I'm not sure I'd fork out for it again!
  • Haffiana
    Haffiana Posts: 733 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I deliberately avoided buying the variodrawer. Life is too short to spend ages arranging cutlery piece by piece in a slot. Good heavens, no. I like to chuck it all in big handfuls in a basket. Long items such as whisks go on the top rack anyway. I would never put a kitchen knife in a dishwaher as it blunts them.

My machine is a Siemens, and I have NEVER had less than gleamng cutlery. The basket works extremely well.

As for the idea that - horrors - someone might touch the top of a fork when emptying the dishwasher... Well, factor in another hour or so sliding your fingers in between your carefully arranged all-facing-the-same-way forks to remove each one by only touching the handle. If you have this sort of spare time in your life, then get a variodrawer.
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Haffiana wrote: »
    I deliberately avoided buying the variodrawer. Life is too short to spend ages arranging cutlery piece by piece in a slot. Good heavens, no. I like to chuck it all in big handfuls in a basket. Long items such as whisks go on the top rack anyway. I would never put a kitchen knife in a dishwaher as it blunts them.

I got the impression you bung it in big handfuls into the variodrawer, then spread it across. Doesn't look like its built to put each piece of cutlery in a slot. The space between variodrawer and the top is too small for that.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • wileycat
    wileycat Posts: 2,285 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love it on mine, gives me better usage of space on the bottom shelf as well.

I do tend to arrange each piece of cutlery in a slot, which is really easy to clear when clean straight in the draw.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure