Mortgage exit fee

Options
Is it still possible to claim back money on Mortgage exit fees. My wife and I paid the Halifax £2,000 pounds in July 1998 to pay off our mortgage but we don't have any details of the mortgage contract any more.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it still possible to claim back money on Mortgage exit fees

No change from the position it has been for a number of years now. If your lender charged you more than your contract stated then they should refund the difference. If they charged you what was agreed in the contract then you get no refund.
    My wife and I paid the Halifax £2,000 pounds in July 1998 to pay off our mortgage but we don't have any details of the mortgage contract any more.

That doesnt sound like an exit charge. That sounds like an early repayment charge. Exit charges are typically no more than £499 (most around the £250 mark)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your chances are almost nil-
    1. Mortgage repayment charges are allowed, providing they charged the correct figure setup in your t&c's. If you didnt want to pay it you should have kept the mortgage.
    2. I would imagine your complaint would also be time barred as this occured 16 years ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure