We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Opting out of marketing

Options
Hi sorry if there is/are pre-existing threads on this but does anyone know If you opt out of receiving marketing info by any means eg sms email, phone etc when entering a competition does this affect your chances of winning? Your entry is still included, right? Thank you...

Comments

• lomaxsylvia
    lomaxsylvia Posts: 5,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi sorry if there is/are pre-existing threads on this but does anyone know If you opt out of receiving marketing info by any means eg sms email, phone etc when entering a competition does this affect your chances of winning? Your entry is still included, right? Thank you...

Hi and welcome to comping. I always opt out of everything unless they stipulate that you have to sign up to their emails and I have won loads.

Good luck
    BIG THANKS TO ALL WHO POST THE COMPETITIONS
  • Mellowyellow1
    Options
    Thank you. That is good to know
  • gholmes724
    gholmes724 Posts: 661 Forumite
    edited 20 April 2014 at 12:45PM
    Options
    No, but it doesn't necessarily stop the marketing, I always opt out, and I distinctly remember opting out of 'debt advice' but ever since then (and almost within minutes) I have been plagued with texts and emails 'approving' my alleged loan application. The emails I unsubscribe from and they do stop, the texts I just delete and they are thankfully now slowing down.

But what if I had applied for a loan? I might think these were from my chosen company.

Horrifying really.
  • pesky_princess
    Options
    I never opt out of further communication with the company actually giving away the prize - but I DO opt out of third party communication (I don't like it when they say third parties as theres no clue about who that includes - could be any dodgy company!) my personal opinion is the companies run comps for promotion and hope for new custom out of it - they are kind enough to give away prizes so I would feel bad saying no to their newsletter or whatever when I have just entered a comp of theirs..... yeah I know... maybe I am just too nice lol :rotfl:
    April 2014: A CAR!!!!!! :j 60th Anniversary Edition of Playboy mag signed by Hugh Hefner/Family pass to Twinlakes Family Theme Park/Rio 2 Goodies/£15 Promod Voucher/Nivea Sensitive Prize pack/John Frieda Cosmetic bag and bits/Tickets to New Kids On The Block + Meet and Greet
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport