StepChange or PayPlan Debt Management Plan

Options
Ron_Swanson_2
Ron_Swanson_2 Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 16 April 2014 at 2:14PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hi all.

I'm thinking about signing up to a Debt Management Plan with one of these charities but I have a few concerns:

- I'm currently managing my debts personally and they all have frozen interest; is this likely to change with a Debt Management Plan (I don't want to be paying more than I have to for longer than I have to)?
- Are these charities trustworthy and reliable? They certainly appear to be having read up on them but a few seem to have had negative experiences (mostly in terms of organisation not ripping people off).
- From experience is it easy to access your balances online?
- Are they understanding in regards to changes of personal circumstance (e.g. change of job or something like that).
- Will they keep debt collectors off my back if I keep up with the plan or provide adequate notice of a change of circumstances?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Standingtall
    Options
    Hi all.

I'm thinking about signing up to a Debt Management Plan with one of these charities but I have a few concerns:

- I'm currently managing my debts personally and they all have frozen interest; is this likely to change with a Debt Management Plan (I don't want to be paying more than I have to for longer than I have to)? it is difficult to say but all my interest and charges were stopped when i commenced my DMP with Payplan
    - Are these charities trustworthy and reliable? They certainly appear to be having read up on them but a few seem to have had negative experiences (mostly in terms of organisation not ripping people off). Yes - although some self management is recommended as they do not, for instance, add interest or charges to the balance they show online - i had some at the beginning of my DMP before they were all frozen / stopped
    - From experience is it easy to access your balances online? I use Payplan plus, an online tool, and it is fab
    - Are they understanding in regards to changes of personal circumstance (e.g. change of job or something like that).this is not applicable to me so cannot say
    - Will they keep debt collectors off my back if I keep up with the plan or provide adequate notice of a change of circumstances?Again I cannot comment

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Please see my comments in red which I hope help you.

Some posters may enquire as to why you are changing to a charity if you are already doing ok managing it yourself? Again i could not comment on the benefits of going it alone as I have not done so.

Good luck
    ST
    LBM August 2011. DFD somewhere post [STRIKE]2025[/STRIKE]2022 :eek:
    Total debts October 2011 circa GBP 17,700 September 2018 GBP 0 DMP with Payplan
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger:T:D:D:D
  • Ron_Swanson_2
    Options
    Please see my comments in red which I hope help you.

Some posters may enquire as to why you are changing to a charity if you are already doing ok managing it yourself? Again i could not comment on the benefits of going it alone as I have not done so.

Good luck
    ST

Thanks for your reply, it sounds that like many you've had a good experience with PayPlan at least.

My problem is I've got multiple payments coming out of my account and multiple debt collectors calling me for reviews, etc, on a regular basis with no easy way of checking balances (bar calling each one). What I'm really after if for it to all be centralised as it's quite stressful having to deal with multiple companies like this myself (if that makes sense?) Also they're professionals and I'm not, so I guess I'd feel more comfortable with that.

I appreciate your adivce.

Ron (not my real name by the way should any moderators be concerned!)
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    - Are these charities trustworthy and reliable? They certainly appear to be having read up on them but a few seem to have had negative experiences (mostly in terms of organisation not ripping people off).

they are the only officially sanctioned method of debt management that are recommended on this site. Do not pay for a service, do not entertain calls from [STRIKE]shysters[/STRIKE] services who purport to help [STRIKE](themselves to your money)[/STRIKE] you.

- Will they keep debt collectors off my back if I keep up with the plan or provide adequate notice of a change of circumstances?

No one can do that for sure. However, you can by simply issuing them with a letter revoking their right of common access and demanding that they only deal with you in writing. However, StepChange are well known and well respected and most [STRIKE]maybe[/STRIKE] of even the hardened [STRIKE]criminals[/STRIKE] DCA's tend to leave you alone once you are in a recognised programme.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Ron_Swanson_2
    Options
    FireWyrm wrote: »
    they are the only officially sanctioned method of debt management that are recommended on this site. Do not pay for a service, do not entertain calls from [STRIKE]shysters[/STRIKE] services who purport to help [STRIKE](themselves to your money)[/STRIKE] you.

No one can do that for sure. However, you can by simply issuing them with a letter revoking their right of common access and demanding that they only deal with you in writing. However, StepChange are well known and well respected and most [STRIKE]maybe[/STRIKE] of even the hardened [STRIKE]criminals[/STRIKE] DCA's tend to leave you alone once you are in a recognised programme.

Excellent. I think I'll go with StepChange although there doesn't appear to be much between the two charities.

They appear to offer an online information service too (as with PayPlan), do you have any experience of their online features?

Thanks.

- Ron.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We work with both organisations. As we do not operate our own DMPs we use Stepchange to administrate 50% of ours and Payplan for the other 50%. Although I don't personally think it makes a great deal of dfference, Payplan is not a charity - though they do provide their DMPs at no cost.

Very best wishes,

David @ NDL.
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I have a dmp with stepchange and the online facility is good, you can get statements, update balances, change creditors (if sold to a dca) and do reviews etc. I set mine up all online, only spoke to them with queries afterwards. With stepchange you pay them on the 1st or 10th of the month and they distribute to creditors on the 25th of the month.
    Puzz
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • BlushingRose
    BlushingRose Posts: 1,621 Forumite
    Options
    My fianc! (and me by association) are with Step Change and have no issues with them at all.
    Our LBM: Dec 2011. DMP started: Jan 2012. Debt at LBM: £41,568

Oct 2012 = Current debt: £40,548.93
    Oct 2013 = Current debt: £39.054.70

DMP Support number 424 - Long haul number 308
  • antonic
    antonic Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I went with Payplan.

With their help I cleared all my debt of £24k in 90 months.

I would recommend them.
  • dipdap25
    Options
    I am currently in the process of setting up a management plan with stepchange, all seems simple enough at the moment. They said I will have access online to see how my debts are reducing each month. I'm happy with this!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure