We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Will my wife receive my Pension

Options
Hi,

Looking forward, I just wondered what will happen to my government pension, should I pass away. Will my wife be entitled to claim it?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• atush
    atush Posts: 18,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    State pension? then no. Apart from, if you died and your wife didn't get a full pension in her own right (ie maybe a 60% pension) then she would get a full one.

Then she would also be able inherit part of any S2P second state pension you may have accrued.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jay900 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Looking forward, I just wondered what will happen to my government pension, should I pass away. Will my wife be entitled to claim it?

How old are you? Are you drawing it already?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • jay900
    jay900 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    How old are you? Are you drawing it already?

Hi, I'm in my mid forties, so it's nothing too imminent.

My wife has the right to reside in the UK, but is not a citizen (yet). As she may not of made sufficient NI contributions, I am just thinking about what might happen in the future.
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    If you both reach state pension age after 5/4/2016 (and it looks as if you do) then you will be covered by the new Single Tier Pension (STP) arrangement.

The changes are documented here [FONT=&quot]https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/181237/single-tier-pension-fact-sheet.pdf

This does away with SERPS / S2P and most of the stuff about inheritance etc so your spouse will, generally, have to have her own state pension from her own contributions. She will need to get as many as she can.
    [/FONT]
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    And I believe she will no longer get a 60% pension off your contribs after 2016 so she needs to:

Start work and earning NI credits, be getting child benefit for any children you have (as she earns nics until youngest is 12) or pay for voluntary contribs. She will need 35 total for a state pension.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport