We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Could I do better than this ?

Options
I recently started to get interested in looking after and trying to get a better return on my money than just putting it in a Halifax Isa and have pretty much sorted out where I want to be with my current investments. This just leaves me now to sort out my pension.

I originally had a hotch potch of personal pension plans (I'm self employed) with bits in L&G, Co-Op and sadly, Equitable Life. On the advice of a financial advisor I left it to him to sort it out and he transferred everything into a Skandia PP. This was July 2009. A couple of years back he advised to switch to a Skandia CRA.

I now want to check if the pension plan he advised me to go with is a good one or should I be taking control now and having a go myself ?

I have just received a statement and the figures are
Policy started July 2009
Product name - Skandia CRA
Amount transferred - £49,431.10p
Monthly payments in - £100
Valuation as of end of March 2014 - £76,621.72

If I put those figures into a compound interest calculator I think it shows an annual %increase of about 7.4% ? Have i got that right ? Is that a good return ? And will that valuation have had the charges already taken out, in other words is that what I actually have now ?

I pay £80pm from my bank to Skandia so I guess that the £100 is what goes in after the taxman has added his bit ?

I did better than this with the money I took from my Halifax Isa and managed to make 13.9% since February 2013

I just turned 59 years old and want to have everything sorted and in place before I hit the big 60.

Thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I originally had a hotch potch of personal pension plans (I'm self employed) with bits in L&G, Co-Op and sadly, Equitable Life. On the advice of a financial advisor I left it to him to sort it out and he transferred everything into a Skandia PP. This was July 2009. A couple of years back he advised to switch to a Skandia CRA.

I now want to check if the pension plan he advised me to go with is a good one or should I be taking control now and having a go myself ?

All sounds good so far. The Skandia Life PPP was the first in the country to offer external funds within a personal pension. It was a quality pension at the time. However, things moved quickly and platforms came in. So, a move to the Skandia CRA was logical. You are probably on charge basis one or two given the year and that is a very cost effective option.
    I did better than this with the money I took from my Halifax Isa and managed to make 13.9% since February 2013

Was that on the same volatility risk score over exactly the same period? Was the ISA also getting regular contributions?
    I just turned 59 years old and want to have everything sorted and in place before I hit the big 60.

What is happening at 60?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport