We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Tax reclaim on pension contribution

Options
Hi,

For the first time ever I made a significant pension contribution around beginning of March into a newly opened SIPP with ii

At what point does the tax reclaim from HMRC that ii are supposed to claim on my behalf get added to my account as I'm still waiting ?

I've also been told that when I fill in my tax return to reclaim the additional 20% to make up the 40% then I should enter the total amount - the actual contribution and the 20% reclaim added together - is that true even though technically it does not look like I will receive the reclaimed tax until the new financial year ?

Thanks...

Comments

• grey_gym_sock
    grey_gym_sock Posts: 4,508 Forumite
    Options
    i'm not 100% sure on the timing, but i think i read that contributions made no later than 5 march should have the tax credit added around 20 april or so, and then for contributions between 6 march - 5 april, it would be credited around 20 may or so.

yes, the box on the tax return asks for gross pension contributions, i.e. including the 20% tax added. a contribution count as made in the tax year you make the payment, even if the 20% is added in the following year.
  • madeinireland_2
    Options
    Thanks for the reply - much appreciated
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business