We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Who can access pension details

Options
Hi

I am posting here as not really sure who or where else to ask at this time of evening.
In 2000 my husbands family's company took out pensions through an independent advisor, his mum, dad, brother and sister all work for the company, my husband is the only one that doesn't. The agreement was that the company would pay the pensions of those who worked at the company and my husband would be given the same amount via direct debit into his bank account for him to pay into his pension. The pensions, including my husbands were all taken out at the same time, with the same pensions company. All communication has always come addressed to my husband and the money has always been debited out of his personal bank account. We recently moved house but have not yet had chance to phone the company to change the address, the house is a new build so still isn't coming up on a lot of automatic address finders. Today my husband has received a letter from the pensions company, addressed to our new address detailing his pension, the top of the letter states that it is regarding the information recently requested - which he has not. So my question is, could his parents have accessed this pension account in anyway and changed the address or obtained the details themselves as a trading company who have company pensions. I know this post probably doesn't make a lot of sense as we don't understand pensions ourselves, and it was such a long time ago since the pension was taken out. If it was taken out as a company pension would any of his paperwork indicated this and, as theoretical employers, would they still be able to obtain this info, regarding the value of the pension and the monthly payments or is it personal to the pension holder themselves?
TIA

Comments

• Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It seems unlikely anyone else could access his pension details. I have phoned my pension AVC provider a number of times recently, and they do an identity check to make sure it is me they are talking to.
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Annie1960 wrote: »
    It seems unlikely anyone else could access his pension details. I have phoned my pension AVC provider a number of times recently, and they do an identity check to make sure it is me they are talking to.

Not sure you can say this. It is not clear who took out what kind of pension. If the OP has the name of the Pension Provider then her husband should contact them direct and clarify what kind of pension it is and whether anyone else has any interest in it. In 2000 as I recall it was still legal for a small company to establish a self administered scheme for example.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport