Pro and Pre biotics?

Options
Been to the GP this morning because I'm feeling so unwell,various skin problems and tummy problems,she thinks I am over run with a fungal infection,whilst she has prescribed anti fungal tablets,she recommended taking some pre or pro biotic tablets to try and keep the body at an even keel and maybe these infections would become less frequent.
Does anyone know of the cheapest and most effective tablets I can buy? haven't been to chemist to have a look as i feel so poorly at the moment,but I thought if I ask you all,I could go out tomorrow and see what I can find armed with some info.
Thanks
LIH
Debt at highest £102k :eek:
Lightbulb moment march 2006
Debt free october2017 :j
Finally sleeping easy in my bed :A

Comments

• JennyW_2
    JennyW_2 Posts: 1,888 Forumite
    Options
    Probiotics are the 'friendly bacteria' that inhabit our gut and other parts of our body, whilst Prebiotics are a kind of natural fibre which nourish these friendly bacteria, or Probiotics.

Holland & Barratt would be a good start. I keep at home a tub of lactobacillus acidophilus (which are probiotics) and take 2/3 a day when I'm on antibiotics. (Antiobiotics destroy lots of healthy flora which is in the gut)
  • ktb
    ktb Posts: 487 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a similar thing last year... I seemed to be taking anti-biotics for half the year (which i hate)!

A very trusted friend of mine recommended these *Natures Biotics*. They are very expensive but apparently most run of the mill probiotics are rubbish (espeically the yoghurt drinks) and most of the bacteria get destroyed by stomach acid before even reaching the gut. Apparently the 'soil based organism' bit of these makes a difference to that.

There are also more types of probiotics in this specific brand than most others (Lactobacillus, Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium, Bifidum, Bacillus, Lichenformis, Bacillus Subtillis, Lactobacillus Lactis Bulgaricus) most other brands just have Acidophilius...

Someone will hopefully be able to recommend you a decent one that is less expensive tho.. £25 is ALOT of money!

I would say that you should def check out any interactions with your anti-fungal medication - there is no point taking probiotics if they are going to be destroyed by what tablets you are on. They are very easily destroyed... dont keep them anywhere they can get hot (some people keep them in the fridge I think - I dont know if the cold damages them tho!?:confused:) and definitely dont take them with hot drinks like tea or coffee...
  • Welshlassie
    Welshlassie Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well I swear by the multibionta tablets. I used to be dreadful for getting every cold and bug going around (I don't even have kids), but started taking multibionta about 4 years ago and have felt wonderful since was unable to take the yoghurt drinks as spent time away from home in the week without access to a fridge (I'm not currently on them at the moment as I'm pregnant), I've not had a cold for over a year. I started my husband on them about 2 years ago just as we were getting married because he had previously has food poisioning and his stomach just hadn't recovered to the point it was before and anything with the slightist spice would go through him v quickly (sorry if tmi) and he was generally quite run down. His stomach improved significantly and he stopped getting colds etc, until he stopped taking them when I did in November (when I got pregnant) and within 6 weeks he was suffering with his stomach again and had a cold he couldn't shake. I only put 2 and 2 together a month or so back when he ended up with another horrendous cold. He's back on them again now and is starting to improve again. I will be going straight back on them when I finish my pregnacare after the baby is born.
  • livinginhope
    livinginhope Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks everyone,the Nature's biotics are a little too expensive for me,so I am thinking about trying the Multibionta tablets,good point about taking with the anti fungal meds,would never have thought of that,thank-you.
    Going to go out tomorrow and see if I can find any offers on and take them when the anti fungals have finished.
    LIH
    Debt at highest £102k :eek:
    Lightbulb moment march 2006
    Debt free october2017 :j
    Finally sleeping easy in my bed :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts