We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Taking TFLS, delaying annuity purchase.

Options
http://citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/govt-extends-annuity-purchase-rule-to-18-months/a745656?ref=new-model-adviser-todays-news-list

Will all providers be required to allow an 18 month delay, or are they only being permitted to allow an 18 month delay?
Free the dunston one next time too.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Very few providers actually allowed that option on their plans. I dont know but I suspect that there will be no change there.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Surely they can decide to go into drawdown instead. Or if the scheme they're in doesn't offer it, transfer to one that does.
  • tony4147
    tony4147 Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can someone explain, is the above saying that when a person takes their 25% TFLS the rest of the pension (75%) HAS to be used to purchase an annuity within a certain timeframe?

I thouught that the TFLS could be taken any time from 55 and the rest of the pension be used for an annuity or drawdown or flexible drawdown.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Can someone explain, is the above saying that when a person takes their 25% TFLS the rest of the pension (75%) HAS to be used to purchase an annuity within a certain timeframe?

Whilst the rules allow for a time delay between the two to exist if the provider wishes to do so, they are not required to offer it.
    I thouught that the TFLS could be taken any time from 55 and the rest of the pension be used for an annuity or drawdown or flexible drawdown.

It can. That is unchanged. This thread is about the rule allowing a delay between the two within the contract (mainly aimed at those that do not offer drawdown)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • tony4147
    tony4147 Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My pensions are with Standard Life (paid up) and Scottish Widows, am I correct that both offer drawdown?
  • dunstonh
    Options
    tony4147 wrote: »
    My pensions are with Standard Life (paid up) and Scottish Widows, am I correct that both offer drawdown?

Both of them offer plans which can do drawdown. However, most of their plans do not. In those cases, a pension transfer is required and if bought direct, you would be looking at potential new charges.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport