Claiming for Gas Bill on Incorrect Plumbing Advise

tw8samtw8sam Forumite
1 Post
Hi all,

After a bit of legal advise here regarding a recent gas bill / plumber evaluation.

To give a bit of background to the problem.... Since beginning our tenancy we have complained to our Estate Agents several times that the automatic Economy 7 setting on our boiler does not sufficiently heat up the boiler overnight, resulting in cold showers in the morning. As a result of this, we have had to constantly heat up the boiler using the emergency switch.

After several fruitless visits from the Estate Agent's chosen plumber, we were eventually advised by him that there was no problem with set up, and that we would need to continue using the Emergency switch if the Economy 7 setting was heating up the water sufficiently.

Following this advice, we have now been hit with a £400 electricity bill over a 4 month period, which is double what we normally pay.

Another plumber has since visited our flat and immediately found that the heating element on our Economy 7 switch was completely burnt out.

My ultimate question here is do we have any legal ground to claim back some of that high electricity bill based on the incompetence of the first plumber?

We were specifically told by that plumber to continue using the emergency switch and that was quite a standard procedure in flats in the area that he's seen. I'm obviously annoyed that thats cost me so much money and I want to hold someone accountable for that.

Look forward to any advice.

Many thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals