Expired foods

Options
BobQ
BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-24305902

Interesting that a US vendor is doing this.

I have never paid that much attention either.
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.

Comments

• dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 7 April 2014 at 10:24AM
    Options
    BobQ wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-24305902

Interesting that a US vendor is doing this.

I have never paid that much attention either.

Dont know what they rules are in US - but the opening paragraph talks about "sell-by dates" which isnt valid in UK ( or at least it is only something that is an indication for the seller ) . In UK you must have either a "use by" ( after which you cannot sell it ) or "best before" ( after which you can sell it ), depending on the type of product. Best know seller of food beyond its "best before" is probably
    http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/

see this thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2624867
  • browneyedbazzi
    browneyedbazzi Posts: 3,405 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    dlusman wrote: »
    Dont know what they rules are in US - but the opening paragraph talks about "sell-by dates" which isnt valid in UK ( or at least it is only something that is an indication for the seller ) .

In the UK eggs have a sell by and use by date - it is illegal to sell eggs past their 'sell by' date.
    Common sense?...There's nothing common about sense!
  • dlusman
    edited 7 April 2014 at 10:51AM
    Options
    In the UK eggs have a sell by and use by date - it is illegal to sell eggs past their 'sell by' date.

Not true. See the section on "sell by date" in this :

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/glos/bus1item.cgi?file=*BADV643-1001.txt

You dont have to put a sell by date on them - but they must be sold wihtin 21 days of laying
  • stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    there are companies on the net selling out of date stock on non-perishable items to the UK market.

Plus market stall at your local car boot are likely to be doing a similar trade.
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Originally Posted by browneyedbazzi viewpost.gif
    Not true. See the section on "sell by date" in this :

Actually it is true. Eggs do have a "sell by" date, whether it is printed on the box or not. They also have a use by date on the box and it is illegal to sell eggs past their sell by date. Which bit did you think was not true?

You dont have to put a sell by date on them -

You don't have to, but they all do as it is the best and easiest way to make sure they are not sold more than 21 days after laying.

The law may not require egg producers to display the sell by date, but the eggs still have one.
    but they must be sold wihtin 21 days of laying

There you go, they do have a sell by date, and its 21 days after laying.
  • dlusman
    Options
    Actually it is true. Eggs do have a "sell by" date, whether it is printed on the box or not. They also have a use by date on the box and it is illegal to sell eggs past their sell by date. Which bit did you think was not true?

They do not have a "use by date" - they have a best before date
  • andersonsophie_89
    Options
    I know someone who works in a chocolate factory and she tells me when the chocolates doesnt go off because of all the sugar and preservatives they put in it. So they will get old chocolated soming back and they will scratch off the sale by date or repackage it.
  • stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know someone who works in a chocolate factory and she tells me when the chocolates doesnt go off because of all the sugar and preservatives they put in it. So they will get old chocolated soming back and they will scratch off the sale by date or repackage it.

Chocolate has a low AW. Not really suitable for micro growth.
    But you can tell when chocolate ages as it does dry out a little.

I do not believe a reputable firm like Cadbury / nestle will do this in the UK back into there main brands.
    They might as well just give it a longer best before date in the 1st place. Saves money & time over re-packing it into the same brand.

They might repackage into a different brand for likes home bargains etc.
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Another urban myth, why would they get old chocolate back, they don't supply it on a sale or return basis.

My local Morrisons and Tesco regularly sell off almost out of date chocolate for next to nothing. Why would they do that if they could return it and get their money back?
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Agree with the above comments about the chocolate.

And that yoghurt is fine weeks sat the expiry date.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure