Credit security limited

Options
Hi all, new to forum, so :hello:

My story is this, 10 years ago I started my job, so informed the benefits agency of this and asked them to stop my benefits, they told me, as I was paid in arrears, I could claim up until I started work so I did.
Last year I got several letters from the DWP claiming I owed them £205 from this period, so I ignored them as I was convinced I didn't plus 9 years had past!
Now recently I have started receiving letters from a company called CREDIT SECURITY LIMITED, claiming to be working for the DWP to reclaim this "debt" saying they will be sending someone to my door to take this amount from me!

Now I am undecided on how to deal with this, do I just keep ignoring them or do I need to do more?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    DWP overpayments are funny beasts. It isnt strictly a debt as such. I would contact the DWP directly and ask for a breakdown. I understand that the thought of the government having a penny more of your money than they are strictly allowed is nauseating, but for £205 is it really worth the hassle of fighting it? An initial letter to the DWP explaining the issue along with a request for a calculation might solve this problem, but if not and it does turn out to be owed, pay it.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Martycoll
    Options
    I am 99% sure I don't owe them anything, but surely now they have "sold" my debt to this debt collecting agency, I am not obliged to pay them anything as I have never had any sort of credit agreement with them personally and the debt is from 10 years ago?

Thanks for the reply!
  • happy_bunny_2
    happy_bunny_2 Posts: 4,488 Forumite
    Options
    They are likely working on behalf of DWP, so will get a cut of any money they collect.

I'm not sure if these things are time limited like consumer credit is, ask the CAB.

You are entitled proof that you owe the money.

Write a complaint to CSL stating you don't believe you owe the money and you want to see proof with payment dates etc.
    :beer:
  • nottoolate
    nottoolate Posts: 1,359 Forumite
    Options
    send them statute barred letter
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    they can take it from any future benefits though
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
  • nottoolate
    Options
    tallyhoh wrote: »
    they can take it from any future benefits though

dwp can. this debt collector can't. the statute barred letter will tell the debt collector to sod off and return it to dwp as they can't take court action.
  • nottoolate
    Options
    saw this as well

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=62028899&postcount=15
    fatbelly wrote: »
    I have posted this before.

According to CAB:

DWP guidance for decision makers states that recovery of a debt should be abandoned and the balance written off where the debt is:-

•under £25; or
    •under £100 and at least six years have elapsed since the last repayment or deduction took place; or
    •under £300 and at least ten years have elapsed since the last repayment or deduction took place; or
    •over £300 and at least 20 years have elapsed since the last repayment or recovery took place.
  • Martycoll
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys!
    So what do you think will happen if I just keep ignoring them?
  • happy_bunny_2
    happy_bunny_2 Posts: 4,488 Forumite
    Options
    Just write to them with the statute barred letter.

Or send it next time they write.

They may try court, but SB is your defence.
    :beer:
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Options
    Use any further letters for hamster bedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure