Where to buy spices in bulk online?

I've always bought spices (cinnammon, oregano, pepper corns, basil, etc) from supermarkets, but want to cut costs and buy in bulk.

I don't really need huge quantities, but I think those supermarket jars are far too expensive.

Which websites you would advise me to buy them from pls?

Cheers

Replies

• KirriKirri Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can't help you with online buying as I don't buy in bulk - but the 'world food' aisles (esp in Asda and Morrisons) have bagged spices which seem a lot better value than the jars in the condiments aisle..

probably depends where you live though.
  • ~Chameleon~~Chameleon~ Forumite
    12K Posts
    I often buy stuff from realfoods.co.uk

They sell a wide range of spices from as little as 25g right up to multiples of 500g packets at wholesale prices.
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • quidsyquidsy Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    holland & barret do normal sized of spices & herbs and have an online shop
    I don't respond to stupid so that's why I am ignoring you.

2015 £2 saver #188 = £45
  • km1423km1423 Forumite
    145 Posts
    Forumite
    Unsure where you live, but say London. Head off to Brick Lane, an international food shop called Taj Stores.

Bascially any international food stores will have spices/herbs in bags varying from 100g and upwards.

You can obtain everything for exotic cooking

Garlic Powder
    Mixed herbs
    Cumin
    Chilli powder
    Fish seasoning
    All purpose seasoning
    Bay leaves
    black peppercorns
    Tumeric
    Chicken seasoning
    Lentils

even Star Anise, raisins, walnuts, pistachios - the list goes on.

Have never bought spices online - sorry :):)

If you want loyalty - get a dog:rotfl::rotfl:

All my posts are my opinion, and the actions I would take.
  • levis2891levis2891 Forumite
    179 Posts
    we usually use world food isles in supermarkets

you could also try ebay, alot of shops sell on there, even people selling direct from the countries that produce the items.

i've bought vanilla pods online (direct from producer) as a heck of alot cheaper, larger packs and better quality than instore
  • SailorSamSailorSam Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    The trouble with bulk buying herbs & spices is most people don't use them in bulk so they could go stale.
    Probably the best place would be if you can find Chinese or Indian type stores.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Swan_2Swan_2 Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    SailorSam wrote: »
    The trouble with bulk buying herbs & spices is most people don't use them in bulk so they could go stale.
    Probably the best place would be if you can find Chinese or Indian type stores.
    Another vote for buying from Chinese or Indian stores.

The packs tend to be minimum 100g, so don't be tempted by fancy spice racks for the wall or worktop, they're one of the worst way to store your herbs & spices.

To keep them at their best you'll need an airtight container & a cool dark place to store. I keep mine in Lock & Locks (or similar) in drawers or cupboards in an unheated area.
  • quidsyquidsy Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    I have a lot of the small kilner jars, can buy them for around 1.20 each online at dunelm mills, they are the fab for storing herbs & spices.
    I don't respond to stupid so that's why I am ignoring you.

2015 £2 saver #188 = £45
  • faisal93faisal93 Forumite
    6 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi guys, finally became a member after years of browsing!

I've used geechef in the past. It's an indian specific online food shop. Good prices, decent delivery speed but their packaging is the best part. All air-tight and resealable which keeps all the spices fresh for ages and ages. May be worth giving them a try? Google geechef spices and you should find it!
  • Thanks a lot for all your suggestions and tips!!! :T

I'll definitely check out the websites and shops you mentioned, as well as my local supermarket's world food aisle.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

British Gas prepay meter users...

...to pay less for gas from 1 April

MSE News

The 'odd Easter flavours' thread 2023

What bizarre food stuffs have you spied?

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools