Arrghhh dentists

Options
Sorry just want a rant really.

I'm an NHS patient at my dentist. About 18 months ago we had a letter through telling us our NHS dentist was going private for better patient care and more time with each patient. We then had our recall appointment a couple of weeks later and went along for it, my and DH on same appointment, were given a check up and polish to be charged £120 :eek: when we got out. We nearly had heart failure, but paid up although we did complain that we hadn't been warned what the charges were when the transfer letter came through. We also then asked to be moved back onto the NHS list as there was still an NHS dentist at this clinic.

Fast forward one year I'm now pregnant and realised I hadn't had a recall through for my check up so phoned up to make an appointment. Went for it and saw the private dentist who was covering for the NHS dentist as they had just left and not been replaced. My gums had been bleeding a bit when I brushed my teeth, which I'd been told by several people and books was completely normal in pregnancy, but the dentist made me feel like I wasn't looking after my teeth properly, he gave me a prescription for some mouthwash (but told me not fill it if the bleeding stopped after I started brushing my teeth "properly") and told me to come back in 2 months. I duely made an appointment 2 months later and didn't fill the prescription as the bleeding didn't happen all the time.

I've just been back for the 2 month check, the same private dentist saw me and asked why I was there as I had only been in a couple of months previously. I said you told me to come back and his response was, "but your NHS I wouldn't have asked you to come back if you were NHS, I must have thought you were private. I don't really need to see you, do you want a scale and polish while you're here privately". I said no, he said why not so I said well I'm saving for a baby and don't want to spend any more than I need to so he said well babies aren't that expensive!! :eek:

I'm a bit p***ed off to be honest, no wonder private dentists make so much money when they call patients back for no reason just so they can charge them more. But then I also think, well maybe I'm not getting adequate treatment on the NHS, surely if you need to be recalled you should be recalled whether you are private or NHS!! :confused:

Sorry rant over.

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,075 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Exactly true.

I think this is a private dentist who hasn't really got the idea of the difference in service he should be offering.

It isn't done to 'make more money' it's done to enable the dentist to provide a better service by seing less patients.

Less patients paying more money = similar income but better service for those that stay.

With the new NHS contract, actual frequencies for seeing patients ARE 'encouraged' (Not written in stone, but if you see people too often, you won't hit your funding targets)

So - nowadays there WILL be a difference between how often you would ideally be seen, and how often you can be seen on the NHS.

Sounds like this guy needs to get the customer service side of the equation in order.

It's often pretty difficult if you have NHS and private going on in the same practice though.

Really, you should have the courage of your convictions and either go for quality or volume. Not easy to do both.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • maypole
    maypole Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry Toothsmith:o but it is "fewer" patients, not "less" ;)

I know what you are thinking, probably that I have too much time on my hands:rotfl:
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    maypole wrote: »

I know what you are thinking, probably that I have too much time on my hands:rotfl:
    :rotfl::rotfl:
    i'm thinking 'are you my OH'? he gets me for doing the same thing at least once a week (and how much does is wind me up now.....?!?!) :)
    :happyhear
  • Toothsmith
    Options
    maypole wrote: »

:rolleyes2 :doh: :shocked:
    How to find a dentist.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
  • MrsJ2008
    MrsJ2008 Posts: 494 Forumite
    Options
    Make a complaint to the British Dental Association.

He sounds terrible & as someone said above, needs some customer care skills.

I used to be private, god it was expensive especially as I have poor teeth (I used to live off Ribena from a baby till my early 20's and have tons of fillings now).

I've been with my current dentist about 8 years who is NHS and he is fabulous. Wonderful personality, sensible advice & cured me of my dentist fears after I had a really horrible tooth op (not done by him). Not gonna say which op incase anyone is going to have one!
  • Toothsmith
    Options
    The British Dental Association isn't a complaints handling body.

The General Dental Council is, but this really isn't in the 'Serious Professional Misconduct' league.

It's just a bit of an admin !!!!-up.

Practices have their own complaints handling proceedure, which will give details of how to proceed and who to contact if the Practice's own proceedure doesn't result in your satisfaction.

Contact the practice first if you want to make a complaint.
    How to find a dentist.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure