Overpayment penalties. Pay them or hang on?

I'm almost at the limit of how much I can overpay this year without incurring any charges. My current tie in period ends in December.

The penalty for overpaying beyond the limit is 3%, so 30 quid for every grand. Mortgage stands at around 57k, at a rate of 3.29%

Between now and December I reckon I'll be able to raise a good 4k if not more. So would you overpay it as soon as it becomes available or hang on till December?
MFW since March 2008:
March 2008: £126k-ish
Oct 2017: £25k
Slowly chipping away at it!

Replies

• Lois_ELois_E Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hang on until December, but put the money somewhere you won't be tempted to use it for anything else, preferably where it can earn some interest, even if not much.

If you use the money to OP immediately, you will be paying 3% on it. If you wait until December you'll only be paying 3/4 of the year at 3.29%, which works out at less than 3%. And that doesn't even take into account the interest you can earn on your money while you're waiting. The interest earned will be pretty small, but still non-zero.
    Starting again 13/4/19
    Home loan 1: £21,102.50 Home loan 2: £7,698.99
    Total owed: £28,801.49
  • GillybeanGillybean Forumite
    290 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for confirming what I thought. It's only a matter of months and I can just bide my time till we come to remortgage.
    MFW since March 2008:
    March 2008: £126k-ish
    Oct 2017: £25k
    Slowly chipping away at it!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals