Best Value Meal Deal?

Options
Cornucopia
Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
I've been out and about a fair bit recently, and have been trying different "Meal Deals" for lunch. I'm pretty sure that they used to all be pretty much the same - sandwich, crisps & a drink for £3. But in my recent travels, there seems to be quite a difference now in range & VFM.

What I've found:-

Best Value: Co-op: pretty much any sandwich or salad, a snack up to £1 value and a wide range of drinks for £3

Morrisons: Restricted range of salads & sandwiches, fruit or crisps, restricted range of drinks: £3

Asda: Restricted range of salads & sandwiches, restricted range of drinks: £2.50

Are there any other deals I should be looking out for? Any other FMs have favourite lunchtime meal purchases?

Comments

• Diane60
    Diane60 Posts: 571 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Boots meal deals are £3.29 (last time I had one!). More choice of sandwiches and snack items than the supermarket.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Diane60 wrote: »
    Boots meal deals are £3.29

From £3.29. I think £3.69 in London.
  • Payless_2
    Payless_2 Posts: 3,123 Forumite
    Options
    Sainsbury's do a huge variety of sandwiches and most are in the meal deal. A sandwich, bag of crisps and drink for £3. Every sandwich I've had from them has been lovely
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 29 March 2014 at 4:55PM
    Options
    I find Boots is the best value, as they do triple pack sandwiches (chicken salad/BLT/prawn salad) and you can choose any drink, and a snack up to £1.35 in value

Due to the price limit on the snack, this means you can buy the sharing bags of sweets, so alot more choc than the standard bars/bag of crisps that other places off.

I think the triple sandwich on its own, is more than the £3.29 price of the meal deal. So add in an innocent smoothie and youre saving alot

However, if i want a basic flavour sarny (egg cress/tuna mayo) then i go to poundland, as the sarny is £1 and you can add 4 snacks for another £1
  • dandelionclock30
    Options
    Best value meal deal is to make your own sandwich at home and buy crisps and cans in bulk.
    If you worked it out you could get this for less than a pound per day.
  • LadyCoupon
    LadyCoupon Posts: 718 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Best value meal deal is to make your own sandwich at home and buy crisps and cans in bulk.
    If you worked it out you could get this for less than a pound per day.

I agree, loads cheaper to do your own.
  • pakokelso93
    pakokelso93 Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have one of these on rare occasions. However best value is the Sainsburys ones. Most other shops have a 'delux' range with ham hock sandwiches etc but it's usually a £4 meal deal, then your standard £3 meal deal.

At sainsbo's You can get their more 'delux' sandwiches (or at xmas their xmas trio sandwiches) which are £3 normally, so you are getting a drink and snack for free effectively... :)
    PK! :money:
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Other than make your own, Subway do a freshly made 6 inch sub with your filling of choice and hot drink for around £3.30 and bottle of water for £3.
  • jadorevintage
    Options
    Diane60 wrote: »
    Boots meal deals are £3.29 (last time I had one!). More choice of sandwiches and snack items than the supermarket.

If you have a Boots card they often send vouchers for 30p off a meal deal, so it'd work out at £2.99. Plus you can earn Boots points when you buy a meal deal.
  • mulronie
    mulronie Posts: 284 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with pakokelso93, Sainsbury's meal deal is by far the best! The "Taste the Difference" meal deal fuels me on the 2 days a week I'm in London.

£3 gets you a sarnie, drink (fizzy, OJ, etc), and a snack (crisps, Mars bar, fruit pot). The sarnie is genuinely decent, the beef/ham/chicken is all British and quality. Compare to Tesco where the chicken in their meal deal sandwiches is from Thailand... sorry but that seems so grim and unnecessary to me.

Oh and they've just started stocking 500ml Coke Vanilla in the Saino's I visit - ideal!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure