Locked into a poor-value investment? It could soon be easier to leave

Options
"Savers locked into poor value pensions could be able to leave them penalty free or be given the option to move"
Read the full story:

Locked into a poor-value investment? It could soon be easier to leave

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The FCA has since backtracked on its earlier release to down play the significance of this review. It is now saying:
    "We are not planning to individually review 30 million policies, nor do we intend to look at removing exit fees from those policies providing they were compliant at the time,' it said. 'This is not a review of the sales practices for these legacy customers and we are not looking at applying current standards retrospectively – for example on exit charges.'"

So, it now just seems to be a check on whether firms are applying the terms correctly on legacy products from before 2000.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • paul5046
    paul5046 Posts: 326 Forumite
    Options
    It's a shame that all you ever hear is negative news about pensions, when it is the only product where you get tax relief.
    Between politicians and the industry they have made a right mess of things.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,206 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    paul5046 wrote: »
    It's a shame that all you ever hear is negative news about pensions, when it is the only product where you get tax relief.
    Between politicians and the industry they have made a right mess of things.

Lies and sensationalism from the media doesnt help. Pity they arent subject to the same liability rules as IFAs.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Well it seems to have hammered insurance company shares

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11899862
  • Renoir77
    Renoir77 Posts: 47 Forumite
    edited 29 March 2014 at 6:21PM
    Options
    I certainly hope it may help me......

Last summer the FSA agreed that an Option 32 policy had been mis-sold to me in the 80's but could not take it any further because the agent was no longer in business. So after 6 months delay in claiming (whilst it was under query) I had no option but to claim it. I am now locked into a final pension pot of just under £10,000 paying me less than £9 pw. The forecast was £48 pw !:mad:

I for one would like to have the chance to see if I could do better....but as it seems they may only be checking and not doing but I can live in hope
  • dunstonh
    Options
    So after 6 months delay in claiming (whilst it was under query) I had no option but to claim it. I am now locked into a final pension pot of just under £10,000 paying me less than £9 pw. The forecast was £48 pw !

That wasnt your only option.
    I for one would like to have the chance to see if I could do better

You wont. The FCA review does not apply to you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 March 2014 at 4:25PM
    Options
    Will this look at my 1987 bought (with profits) endowment policy bought through the Woolwich - despite interest rates of more than 20% - this policy failed to make a penny over the 20 years that it ran for - I eventually cashed it in to pay off the remaining mortgage....

I did receive approx £8,000 compensation for a missold policy from Barclays (in 2004 ish) but feel that this sum is nowhere near the amount that Sun Alliance (bought out by Phoenix) made on my policy
    I was told at the time of opening the policy that I was guaranteed to cover my loan (£30k) plus at least the same again !!
    But when sold (to Phoenix - nobody else would touch it) in 2008 - I got back just £19,000 - due to early cashing in (4 years early) - I had been paying approx £70 per month in to it and decided to stop throwing my money away...
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Will this look at my 1987 bought (with profits) endowment policy bought through the Woolwich - despite interest rates of more than 20% - this policy failed to make a penny over the 20 years that it ran for - I eventually cashed it in to pay off the remaining mortgage....

It is not looking at specific policies. The article in the thread was based on a incorrectly released bit of information that the FCA have since backtracked on and installed a legal team to investigate how it was released.

What are these 20% interest rates that you refer to?
    I did receive approx £8,000 compensation for a missold policy from Barclays (in 2004 ish) but feel that this sum is nowhere near the amount that Sun Alliance (bought out by Phoenix) made on my policy

That isnt your problem. You got your redress payment and that was based on mortgage interest rates which are typically higher than savings interest rates.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »

I was told at the time of opening the policy that I was guaranteed to cover my loan (£30k) plus at least the same again !!
    Typical of the lies told at the time.

But it looks like this review is about existing policies rather than ones cashed in, but it's not totally clear. For endowment mis-selling see http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/endowments-miss-sold
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,206 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Typical of the lies told at the time.

I doubt very much it was a lie. Rather a projection based on what looked reasonable at the time. Rates of return are very much lower now than they were 30 years ago.

With one of my company pensions taken out in the 1980s the pension company guaranteed an annual investment return of 8.5%, a guarantee that my colleagues regarded as ridiculously small. So an inability to foresee the future hit both the companies and their customers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure