Any Dentists or people who know about teeth?

Options
Have just posted this in the arms as i didnt really know where to post it and have been redirected here. Sorry for the double post:o

Im abit worried and was wondering if anyone who knows about these things can help me out.

I had 4 teeth out and then 2 weeks ago got my braces. On my lower teeth i had elastic (sp) bands (i think they were called power bands.) I think this was to close the gap that from the teeth that had been removed. When i left the dentist told me alot of things that when i got home and looked at the leaflet were wrong. She said i should brush twice a day when its apprently 3 times and also that i can eat things like pizza as long as i cut it up when on the leaflet it says dont eat it at all. I read the leaflet a few days after going so havent been doing the wrong thing too long so thats ok.

But about a week ago one of the elastic bands broke and came out of my mouth. I rung the dentist and the woman at the reception said they only seem people who are in pain and its not important so i shouldnt worry and wait till my next check up which is in september.

Really im just worried that it will ruin my teeth or make me have to wear the braces longer so is the information correct because the dentist has been wrong before so should i ring up again and insist on an appointment?
Offical MSE Fantasy League Member:beer:

Comments

• Justie
    Justie Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    Options
    I would phone again and ask for your ortho to phone you back - September is a long time to wait. My ortho always allowed extra appointments if it was necessary - I only broke my brace once and it was a week before an appointment so wasn't a big deal to wait but as you've only had it on for a short time I'd try and make an extra appointment but check with the ortho first. It's not going to add months to your treatment but it's an annoyance that you shouldn't have to live with.

As for food - I can't see that pizza would be a problem except that tomato sauce might stain the elastics which has no negative effect on how your brace works but might not look so nice. I always brushed my teeth after anything I ate (made me cut down on snacks as it was a pain to keep cleaning them).

I'd also go onto archwired.com and join the forums there you'll get lots of support and lots of knowledgeable posters who are going through much the same thing.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,075 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Was the dentist you rang the orthodontist?

I'm surprised your not seeing the orthodontist again until Sept. It's normally reviewed monthly - 6 weekly.

I'm also surprised an orthodontist's receptionist would say it wasn't important. Did they even ask you where the band was? Some are vital!!!

ing up the orthodontist directly if you haven't already, and insist on an appointment if that's the place you have tried - and tell the orthodontist what his receptionist is telling people!!
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • avfc4life
    avfc4life Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Options
    I spoke to the receptionist and she didnt directly say it was unimportant but she said words to that effect and kept playing it down. It is quite busy and i said i could just come down and wait but she said there is no point. I thought well why would they put the bands there if they arnt part of the brace.

So you think i should ring up and ask to speak directly to the dentist who fitted my braces?
    Offical MSE Fantasy League Member:beer:
  • Justie
    Justie Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    Options
    yes, explain that the elastic is a power band not just elastics that hold the wire onto a brace - it should take all of a minute to replace if that. If you're local I would just pop in and not bother with phoning. Is the gap between seeing your ortho because of the summer holidays? Or is that how long you were told it should be? When I had my treatment it was 5 weeks between appointments as there's usually enough movement then to warrant a new wire or new bands etc.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,075 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    avfc4life wrote: »

So you think i should ring up and ask to speak directly to the dentist who fitted my braces?

Is this at the same place as the place you rang??

I can't understand why a receptionist at a practice where an orthodontist worked would say that it wasn't a priority to have you seen.

The dentist will be busy, and probably unable to take a direct call from you, but someone at the practice should realise that you need to be seen.

I also can't understand why your next appointment isn't until September.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure