Retirement 31/7/14 age 55-Options?

Options
Wife intending retiring 31st July and has a DC scheme with work approx value £50k.
No intention of taking account annuity due to poor value and have significant other investments (circa £600k+).
Attracted by changes announced in budget which take effect April 2015 allowing access subject to marginal rate tax deduction.
What are best interim options? Temporary drawdown set up?

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Could do. A lot of providers currently offer drawdown at low charges, but their charges are likely to be reviewed with the new rules coming in. If she has £12k of secure income she could draw down the whole lot before April 2015, though this might not be a good idea as it'll put her well into 40% tax.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    philng wrote: »
    Wife intending retiring 31st July and has a DC scheme with work approx value £50k.
    No intention of taking account annuity due to poor value and have significant other investments (circa £600k+).
    Attracted by changes announced in budget which take effect April 2015 allowing access subject to marginal rate tax deduction.
    What are best interim options? Temporary drawdown set up?

What's her tax position? The option to choose probably depends on this.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Take 25% PCLS this year, put the rest into drawdown and take what you can tax free, so £10k assuming no other income. Maybe even then lob whatever she can (£2880+) back into a pension.

After April 2015, assuming the Freedom and Choice legislation doesn't get knobbled by the financial services industry, start drawing her personal allowance every year for four years or so.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    With those other investments she doesn't need the pension money immediately so if you think the new rules will make it to law consider contributing 100% of current salary before the end of this tax year (if enough annual allowance left / b/fwd) plus all of next year's before retirement.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd have her whack more into pensions as she iov overweight in unwrapped.

Add in this year's allowance plus any from years past allowed. Add in full contribs til retirement.
  • philng
    philng Posts: 801 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So drawdown is the best route?

She is basic rate taxpayer earnings approx £30k per year plus investment income/interest of say £5k outside ISA's.

Which are the cheapest drawdown providers?
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    philng wrote: »
    Which are the cheapest drawdown providers?

As this is a short term thing, you can ignore fund fees for the most part so just need to understand set-up, annual and exit fees.

Sadly, I don't actually know the answer to this question!
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Take 25% PCLS this year, put the rest into drawdown and take what you can tax free, so £10k assuming no other income. Maybe even then lob whatever she can (£2880+) back into a pension.

After April 2015, assuming the Freedom and Choice legislation doesn't get knobbled by the financial services industry, start drawing her personal allowance every year for four years or so.

I agree, apart from I think she is working post april this year, so I would wait til april 2015 before taking any income above the TFLS (or if her income is less than 10.5K, draw up to this amt).

Then after that draw up to the PA and hey presto, no tax (assuming she has no other income incl savings income unwrapped?)
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The key thing is that if she has no other taxable income until state pension comes in you have the opportunity to take the pot, plus any extra contributions she can make, tax free.

If she contributes the whole of her £10k income in the tax year 2014/5 she will get £2,500 of tax relief on it. She can then take the TFLS immediately and draw down max allowed in that tax year under capped rules and the full PA in each subsequent year
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I dunno who's cheapest, but Hargreaves Lansdown seem to be decent value for a SIPP of modest size, and their service impresses me.

You could visit the website of Langcat for guidance.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport