2»

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,909 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 March 2014 at 11:03AM
    Options
    To the library!
    Honestly. These folks have ideas for a living, internet access for backup and books you can read for greater understanding without needing mains electricity.

Without suggesting you write a superhero tale and thus exhume from your unconscious what you really want to be able do brilliantly, do have a good root through the fantasy section as well as the employment, careers, & biographies. As a lot of jobs exist that didn't exist 30 years ago (I haven't yet heard "I want to be a spin-doctor" but give it time), librarians will be more aware of what's new that traditional careers guidance hasn't quite caught up with.

As another path towards enlightenment, list out every job you can think of. Then reward every person who can add a new job to your list (bonus point if they can identify a relevant qualifying body, double if they can find the weblink) and see if the jobs you hadn't thought of merit further investigation.

I recently sat in on a Mid Career workshop run by the union, which handed out flashcards of abilities & skills & asked you to put them into 4 columns Excel at, Good at, Pass at, Need to work at. It formed interesting clumps around ideas, people, things, etc which you might find useful.

If you can find a passion, brilliant. If you can't, but can find something that scores higher satisfaction, that'll do? All the very best!
  • morganedge
    morganedge Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    Options
    OP- You any good at IT?

I briefly met someone last night who apparently is a 'technical architecht?''
    (again, another example of a job I didn't know existed and had never heard of)

He was young(ish) and LOADED! I'm talking, borderline rich judging by his house, car and gadgets.
    He was using words like VMware as part of his job. (never heard of that, personally)

He has his fingers in a few other pie from what I gather, but he said that was his main job.

Do whatever he does! Maybe there's a course somewhere???!
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• SJI85
    SJI85 Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    Professional spell-checker actually sounds like a job I wouldn't mind doing! Don't think it exists, though.

Proofreaders do.
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is there the possibility of moving on up within the place you already work? You've put in the time, you must have a pretty good idea of how it all works - supervisor, forman, sales rep? You've got 10 years of experience, it seems a shame to waste it.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You must have some interests though. You mentioned football, maybe travelling? One good start would be to see what realistic studies/career you could take on related to your interests. It doesn't have to be directly related, but have some relation to it. For instance, what is it about football you like? The actual adrenalin of playing it (then maybe look at something that involves a bit of daring), or the excitment of betting after doing research/applying statistics (then maybe a career that involved research and deduction or it is the crowd and buzzing atmosphere (maybe looking at jobs that involves dealing the public) etc...
  • double_mummy
    double_mummy Posts: 3,989 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    what about travelling and teaching english as a second language or doing it without the travelling? or teaching adults english all you need is a PTTLS or TEFL
    The only people I have to answer to are my beautiful babies aged 8 and 5
  • jimmy2times
    jimmy2times Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    SJI85 wrote: »
    Proofreaders do.

I'm gonna search my local job sites now.
    Is there the possibility of moving on up within the place you already work? You've put in the time, you must have a pretty good idea of how it all works - supervisor, forman, sales rep? You've got 10 years of experience, it seems a shame to waste it.

No. I haven't spent 10 years at one company. I've been temping mainly, on-and-off at various minimum wage jobs, usually just warehouse and factory work.

Thanks for everyones posts. I'd kind of forgotten about this thread.

Unfortunately, i'm still no further along.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What about vision 2 learn I'm doing a course now. Business and admin would be good it's a level 2 so gcse level and be good if it has funding. It might be a starting point, I'm looking to do that after this course just to have something behind me due to career change.

List what your good at and see of there's a job with that involved.

Look for a job with those skills and see what qualifications you need. It's a case of working backwards to go forwards
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• jimmy2times
    jimmy2times Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    Sncjw wrote: »
    List what your good at and see of there's a job with that involved.

Look for a job with those skills and see what qualifications you need. It's a case of working backwards to go forwards

I've tried going this route. Various tests on career type sites etc.
    It never gets me anywhere. I say that I like animals and it then suggests I become a vet! lol.
    I don't have any stand-out skills to get the ball rolling / ideas flowing

I already have GCSE'S.
    I think I need to think of either a 'trade' that can be learnt quickly(ish),
    or I need to take some sort of course that gives me a specific skill to land a certain job within an office (say, payroll for example?)

I feel as though I need LOADS more ideas, though, as I can't think of many.

I think one day someone's gonna suggest a course that I didn't know existed and i'll know upon hearing it that it's a decent fit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure