I've Done It!! I'm Finally Mortgage-free

Options

Comments

• sparklymessygirl
    Options
    Many congratulations! I cannot believe how much interest you have saved. I bet it will take some time to sink in?

Sparkly
  • reformedEffortMaker_2
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS MartinsloveChild-what do you plan to do with the spare cash you have each month?
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options

Meanwhile, I'll see if I can persuade the board monitors to make it a sticky.

It's done I thought this was a great idea ;)

Well done MLC he was my mentor on Malaysia so he proves you don't have to stop living to be MF ;)
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • oldenufftoknowbetter
    Options
    Congratulations it's a fantastic feeling isn't it. Even more enjoyable at the end of the month when you see the money still in your bank account:T

What a way to do it also by using 0% cards :rotfl: using them to beat them inspiring stuff.
  • Martinslovechild
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS MartinsloveChild-what do you plan to do with the spare cash you have each month?
    That's something that i've been considering myself for a while too!!

I suspect that I'll initially save as much cash as I can each month and put it away in ISAs etc until there's a housing crash (this is a political cookie because although some people believe that there won't be one, I strongly do). In fact, I'm so convinced that there'll be a housing market crash after 2010, hitting the bottom of the next cycle in 2013-2014, that i'll look to purchase a holiday home at the bottom of the next cycle (I bought my current property at the bottom of the last cycle in 1996 - I certainly couldn't afford to buy it now!). Of course, if there is no crash, i've not lost anything - I certainly don't intend to buy a second property at current prices.

Other than that, we're jetting off to Australia for a very cheap holiday (I save points with hotel stays that I do with my work which I then convert to Frequent Flyer miles). I've saved enough Qantas points for the 2 of us to go to Hong Kong, Sydney, Perth & Singapore at Christmas/NY for free!. We're now in the process of booking the hotels (unfortunately these aren't free, we'll book these over the next couple of months).

The most important thing for me now though is to have the financial freedom of being able to take a less stressful job at any point that I choose. Of course, if my current employer were to offer me redundancy, I would bite their arm off for it :p.
    Mortgage Feb 2001 - £129,000
    Mortgage July 2007 - £0
    Original Mortgage Termination Date - Nov 2018
    Mortgage Interest saved - £63790.60
    ISA Profit since Jan 1st 2015 - 98.2% (updated 1 Dec 2020)
  • GreenNinja
    GreenNinja Posts: 601 Forumite
    Options
    That's something that i've been considering myself for a while too!!

I suspect that I'll initially save as much cash as I can each month and put it away in ISAs etc until there's a housing crash (this is a political cookie because although some people believe that there won't be one, I strongly do). In fact, I'm so convinced that there'll be a housing market crash after 2010, hitting the bottom of the next cycle in 2013-2014, that i'll look to purchase a holiday home at the bottom of the next cycle (I bought my current property at the bottom of the last cycle in 1996 - I certainly couldn't afford to buy it now!). Of course, if there is no crash, i've not lost anything - I certainly don't intend to buy a second property at current prices.

Other than that, we're jetting off to Australia for a very cheap holiday (I save points with hotel stays that I do with my work which I then convert to Frequent Flyer miles). I've saved enough Qantas points for the 2 of us to go to Hong Kong, Sydney, Perth & Singapore at Christmas/NY for free!. We're now in the process of booking the hotels (unfortunately these aren't free, we'll book these over the next couple of months).

The most important thing for me now though is to have the financial freedom of being able to take a less stressful job at any point that I choose. Of course, if my current employer were to offer me redundancy, I would bite their arm off for it :p.

Well done on clearing your mortgage! You must feel amazing!

Stories like this keep me going on dark depressing days when I wonder how long I can live frugally and save to pay off my mortgage!!

:beer:
  • shelagh
    shelagh Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Martinslovechild,
    brilliant stuff, well done you. I am just wondering how old are you, did you become mf before your 40th. as hoped?
    best wishes
    Shelagh
  • Martinslovechild
    Martinslovechild Posts: 1,560 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    shelagh wrote: »
    Hi Martinslovechild,
    brilliant stuff, well done you. I am just wondering how old are you, did you become mf before your 40th. as hoped?
    best wishes
    Shelagh
    I certainly did!!

I'm a very happy 38 year old.
    :beer: :beer: :j :beer: :beer:
    Mortgage Feb 2001 - £129,000
    Mortgage July 2007 - £0
    Original Mortgage Termination Date - Nov 2018
    Mortgage Interest saved - £63790.60
    ISA Profit since Jan 1st 2015 - 98.2% (updated 1 Dec 2020)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Many congratulations in joining the club!
  • Leighthal
    Leighthal Posts: 326 Forumite
    Options
    Hey GRATS!:beer: .
    I was in the same situation about three weeks ago,but now I've applied for another one!.Here we go again :o
    In an Acapulco hotel:
    The manager has personally passed all the water served here.:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family