15 year old debt with ex

Options
I have a debt from 1999 with an ex partner whom I split from in the same year.

The debt was the short fall of a repossession and was £7500.

I have paid about 40% myself, my ex has paid nothing.

Is there any way I could get the building society to chase him for the rest as it feels very unfair that it has fallen to me. I have other debts and getting rid of this one would make a huge difference.
April 2013 - £25771.75. DFD October 2022!
April 2014 - £18146.35. DFD June 2020!

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Sadly, it may well be the case that since your ex has not acknowledged the debt in any form over the past 15 years, the debt is now statute barred as far as he or she is concerned. So neither you nor the building society would have any luck in chasing them.
  • owenmonicapeter
    Options
    If it is a joint debt and it has had regular payments then it is not statute barred for me, how can it be for him?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,966 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If both your names were on the agreement then surely you are only liable for half the amount ???
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    If both your names were on the agreement then surely you are only liable for half the amount ???

It doesn't work like that, expect perhaps from a moral perspective. Both borrowers are liable for the whole amount, as many on here have found to their cost.
  • chelle1981
    chelle1981 Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The bank are only bothered about getting the money they don't care about the ins and outs of a breakup - if both names are on a loan then you are jointly responsible- you can remind the bank that it is a joint debt and to also chase the other party but I fear the only way to make ur ex pay is to take him to court which is a costly and lengthily process but me be ur only option
  • chelle1981
    chelle1981 Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It may also be worth reminding ur ex that if they don't pay and u don't pay this will stuff both of ur credit ratings and say that u can no longer afford to pay it all so if they don't want to muck up their own credit rating to pay up
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,966 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    It doesn't work like that, expect perhaps from a moral perspective. Both borrowers are liable for the whole amount, as many on here have found to their cost.

Hi,
    Yes your right, I was thinking about tax credit overpayments for some reason, DUR !!!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • owenmonicapeter
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

The house was repossessed and as far as I can remember the shortfall was never recorded on my/ex partners credit file as a default, nor have we come to any official payment arrangement, like another credit agreement.

Thinking aloud, is it possible that the debt is not enforceable?

Just trying to think of a way to suggest to the original creditor that they could write of the remainder of the debt as I have paid half, wishful thinking I expect!!

I am desperate to decrease my DMP timescale (currently 6 years 4 months left)
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,649 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    National Debtline have an excellent factsheet.

Mortgage shortfalls

with standard letters at the end. As others have said, the debt would not be statute barred unless there was a 12-year gap with no acknowledgement, and joint and several liability applies to the whole debt
  • owenmonicapeter
    Options
    Thankyou, when I spoke to the solicitor who I make payments to, they haven't got any record of the joint debtor (my ex) they said it is just my name on the account.

I tried calling the building society directly but they said they didn't even have a record of the original mortgage or debt despite the solicitor passing the money to them every month!

I was hoping to ask them to consider writing the remaining balance off (approximately half) given that I am the only one who has been paying this debt since 2000 and I was the second applicant on the original mortgage earning considerably less than the main applicant and they have never even approached him.

Or am I wasting my time!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport