How do you find a human?

Options
...One that can sit down and talk to you one to one and look through your paperwork and give you some advice. Not over the phone?

I really think that things will never get better or under control whilst i am with my DH. Have had 2 more parking tickets and rent due yesterday has not been paid, another case of him saying he will sort it out.

I dont know how to get out of this hole Im in.

Ive moved to rented and yet the phone calls are relentless and I am now just hiding behind a different curtain for another lot of debt.

I wouldnt mind if I just had myself and the kids to look after, but my oh behaves like a reckless toddler. I cant bear it any more.

Comments

• Toto
    Toto Posts: 6,680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The best place for a sit down with a person would be the CAB, they have super debt counsellors. You might have a bit of a wait, I know some areas are snowed under, but you might be lucky and get in right away. Give them a call.
    :A
    :A
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
  • gettingitsorted
    gettingitsorted Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    Options
    Agree totally with Toto the CAB have a money advisory unit ,i know a couple or posters such as Tight Jock used them and they even went to the court with him and there support was invaluable .
    Official DFW NERD 189

I may be a woman but dont hold it against me:D

Officially declared Br 6/11/06

Discharged Br 4/5/07 (6 months to the day)

BCSC MEMBER 21
  • NoMoreExcuses
    Options
    Hmm...done that. Totally baffled the poor woman, she said it was a bit complex.

The other one that is localish to me does not answer the phone during its "phone" hours and there is usally a 3 hour wait, which is not much use with an 8 month old.
  • Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    ...One that can sit down and talk to you one to one and look through your paperwork and give you some advice. Not over the phone?

I really think that things will never get better or under control whilst i am with my DH. Have had 2 more parking tickets and rent due yesterday has not been paid, another case of him saying he will sort it out.

I dont know how to get out of this hole Im in.

Ive moved to rented and yet the phone calls are relentless and I am now just hiding behind a different curtain for another lot of debt.

I wouldnt mind if I just had myself and the kids to look after, but my oh behaves like a reckless toddler. I cant bear it any more.

NME,

I've posted this on the public forum rather than send a P.M because I have met several of the users on this site in person, and they can vouch for me not being some "card carrying psycopathic lunatic".

You can phone me anytime after about 6.30pm, withold your number so you know you're anonymous and I can talk you through things.

Quote our O.R: "I've yet to meet anybody whose debts and business and private financial affairs are more complicated than yours".

If your O.H can't face things then don't force him; do it yourself, I'm sure you've got the resolve and determination to do it; with a little help.

Richard
  • wherediditallgo
    wherediditallgo Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're having such a bad time. :(

I don't know the history of your debt, so the only thing I can suggest is that you make an appointment with the debt advisor at your local CAB. Explain to them that you want them to go through your debts with you, & ask them to help you draft letters to send to your creditors, especially your landlord as you must make sure you protect the roof over your head.

I sacked my OH nearly 2 years ago, & part of the reason was his inability to believe that money really didn't grow on trees. If your OH won't let you take over organising the finances completely or if you don't want to take them over, then you might not have any option but to sit down with him & tell him whatever the CAB tell you. Paint the picture to him in very black & white terms - "if we don't do X, then Y is going to happen". Make it very clear to him the risks he's taking with you & the children, his family, & that you can't allow it to go on any longer. Everyone takes their time to have their lightbulb moment, & he may not have had his yet, so you'll have to shine a torch in his eyes & make him realise the debts aren't something he can put off dealing with for another day.

If the phone calls are getting too much for you, you can send this letter to them. Some debt collectors may try to ignore that letter, but most of them will obey it. Good luck. :)
  • Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    Hi wherediditallgo,

We heard you the first time :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • gettingitsorted
    Options
    NME ,

Im one of the people who richard is reffering to ,iv met him in person and spent alot time with him ,you will not find a more genuine honest person and i can also say that his knowledge is second to non (apart from the prof people) he has a great mannerisum which is calming and he speaks in in clear engish no jargon.
    Official DFW NERD 189

BCSC MEMBER 21
  • wherediditallgo
    wherediditallgo Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    Options
    Richard_S wrote: »
    Hi wherediditallgo,

We heard you the first time :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    A potty internet link that keeps cutting out, thanks to me nearly being out of hard drive space & memory on my pc, means my posts sometimes take ages to appear again after editing. :o Time for a clear out. :)
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Can't recommend Gill Hankey at the Bankruptcy Advisory service highly enough. She doesn't do it for free though. £25 annual membership which gets you free phone and e-mail support and she charges £30 AFAIR for an appointment which is value for money as she does know what she's on about and isn't afraid of telling you what you don't want to hear which is usually what you NEED to hear.

She also has access to resources to allow people to get a mortgage whilst still bankrupt in order to secure the home from the OR.

http://www.bankruptcyadvisoryservice.co.uk/
  • gettingitsorted
    Options
    Conor with all due respect people who are in this position cannot afford to pay for advice that can be sort elsewhere without the fees .
    Official DFW NERD 189

BCSC MEMBER 21
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport