🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

What should be most heavily taxed? Poll discussion.

Options

Comments

• Linguistic_Chimp
    Options
    My initial reaction to this poll was to tax cigarettes but then I thought, hang on, smokers have just been forced out of pubs, which will probably cut down the number of smokers, hence the amount of cigarettes being sold and the tax it would be possible to make from cigarette sales.

Alcohol sales are on the other hand likely to go up as people that would normally drink less while smoking could now drink more , and might feel the need to to cope with the fact they are trying to give up smoking or can't smoke indoors anymore. Therefore alcohol sales go up and the possible tax earned from its sales increases.
  • Kells_Bells
    Kells_Bells Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Tax on petrol - people drive smaller cars = Positive for Environment

Tax on Cigarettes - People stop smoking = Positive for NHS

Tax on Alcohol - People don't drink as much = Positive for NHS

All other taxes I feel should not rise for the following reasons

Income Tax - Puts people off trying to develop and improve themselves, lots of the filthy rich + others who do cash in hand work would still get away with paying none.

Council Tax - Already extortionate, tax on peace and quiet!

VAT - People just buy more abroad, we become uncompetitive in industry (yes businesses can claim it back, but still have to charge it)

In general, I think that if the rich were actually taxed at the proper rate, 10 extra pence on petrol, 10 extra pence on cigs, 1p on booze and the dodgy self employed, taxi drivers, market traders, personal fitness trainers (I know one who earns around £2000 a month and pays NO TAX) were all chased up, the country would be a much better place!
  • Cerro
    Cerro Posts: 206 Forumite
    Options
    As Kells Bells said, increasing income tax only surpresses ambition. If you imposed a 75% income tax on the highest earners all you would achieve is ridding the country of its most skilled and ambitious people - they'd all move over to the states or somewhere else with far less tax. You have to remember, business is global, people can work anywhere in the world these days... setting sky-high taxes simply causes people to look elsewhere.

I hate this stealth tax approach brought in by Gordon Brown - it's all about deciving us! Spin by another name. We are already taxed heavily enough!
    Faith is believing what you know ain't so...
  • wiganshale
    wiganshale Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    First, this is a talking shop and will have little or no effect on actual taxation.
    Second, we do not have a Democracy; we have a parliamentary Democracy. I.e. M.P.'s are not are servants, they are our elected rulers and as we drift further towards a two party system, the need, for politicians to take any notice of public opinion, will become more ephemeral.
    As far as taxes are concerned; If the Public does not like the effects of alcohol or tobacco, then they should be outlawed as Heroin and other addictive substances are.
    The Climate change fanatics need to find alternatives before they pull away the props supporting our present life styles.
    Taxation should be from those, who have most, to those who have least.
    VAT and other customer based taxes hit the poorest more than the richest.
    If all other taxes (including council tax and licences such as BBC, road tax etc.) were abandoned, the savings on collecting these taxes (a much smaller Civil Service) would allow for a less arduous Income tax/corporation tax system to be imposed.
    Inheritance tax would not be needed, if the rich weren't allowed to wriggle out of paying tax, by claiming that they were merely lowly paid employees of fictitious corporations.
    My vote is income tax.
  • ME1_2
    ME1_2 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Tax Cigarettes The Most Id Say Smokers Are A Drain On Our Resources, Maybe Help Them Learn That They Are Paying To Make Themselves Ill And That It Can Make Others Ill To(public And At Home)!, Also Im Sick Of Seeing Cigarette Ends All Over The Place Y Drop That Bet You Wouldnt Drop Anything Else On The Street? And Its Also Non Smokers Tax That Has To Pay To Clean That Up And Contribute To The Nhs To Try And Save Them When They Are Ill Through Smoking
  • Barlicker
    Options
    This is my first time so I hope someone likes my idea. My suggestion for taxation is to re-introduce the dog licence and instead of it being 3 shillings and sixpence or whatever it was, make it a couple of hundred pounds annually. By doing this perhaps only real animal lovers will keep dogs and they will look after them properly. My pet hate is dog dirt on our streets and parks. I know a lot of people now use pooper scoopers but many don't. I have just returned from holiday and didnt see any dog dirt although I did see people walking their dogs, all on leads I might add. Just think about the number of dogs you see every day and think how much revenue could be raked in. The elderly who have a dog as a companion and dogs for the blind would be exempt of course. This is my idea for raising taxes and cleaning up our towns and parks.
  • niccy
    niccy Posts: 597 Forumite
    Options
    increase tax on second homes,then higher on third homes,higher on fourth,you get the idea;)
    living on the "edge"
  • churchmouse_3
    Options
    How about a tax on second or holiday homes.. or even put a special council tax on as well, then we could also help the problem of dying villages. They are not a neccessity to life but make someone elses life difficult when they cannot buy a first home in their own village.
  • Chef1980uk
    Chef1980uk Posts: 226 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cigs because no one NEEDS them.

No i dont smoke but i also dont drink, again no one needs to drink but they only harm themselves in doing so, so as far as im concerned its not a tax issue.
  • 123snowy
    123snowy Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    johno777 wrote: »
    Funny that most people agree that tax should rise on things they don't buy!

How do you know that did you carry out a poll?:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family