Budget 2014: Tobacco duty goes up, but a penny off a pint of beer

"Smokers will be hit by higher prices but the price of beer falls by 1p, while cider and whiskey are frozen"
Read the full story:

Budget 2014: Tobacco duty goes up, but a penny off a pint of beer

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• COOLTRIKERCHICKCOOLTRIKERCHICK Forumite
    10.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so in real terms how much would a pack of 20 cigarettes go up by??

as a Mse'r I have now bought golden Virginia tobacco seeds... to grow and produce our own tobacco... and it IS legal... the only thing is you can not sell it...

My friend has been doing it for a few years... and it has saved her a fortune.. as you can buy approx. 2000 seeds for a few quid..

We are also brewing our own beer this year, after buying a kit a while back...
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Hi COOLTRIKERCHICK,

I believe the cost of pack of 20 cigarettes will rise by about 28p.

MSE Michael
  • COOLTRIKERCHICKCOOLTRIKERCHICK Forumite
    10.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thank you MSE Michael..

WOW!!! That is a jump.....

I personally think this will drive more and more people to buy from the 'man in the pub' etc and like myself will start growing our own tobacco..... so the government will end up losing the taxes
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Nada666Nada666 Forumite
    5K Posts
    Not in Tesco it ain't. Popped in today but bottles of beer have gone up by 35p, not down by a penny!
  • geordie_joegeordie_joe Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nada666 wrote: »
    Not in Tesco it ain't. Popped in today but bottles of beer have gone up by 35p, not down by a penny!

That's due to extremely poor reporting by Michael Smith. He heard that the duty on a pint of beer would go down by 1p, but instead of just reporting that he tried to make it something better than it was by claiming the price of a pint would go down by 1p.

He obviously has never been in a shop, otherwise he would know the amount tax goes up or down has no relation the the amount the shops increase the price by.
  • thank you MSE Michael..

WOW!!! That is a jump.....

I personally think this will drive more and more people to buy from the 'man in the pub' etc and like myself will start growing our own tobacco..... so the government will end up losing the taxes

In my experience, the price of cigarettes is not something that stops the majority of smokers from buying them.
  • Nada666Nada666 Forumite
    5K Posts
    That's due to extremely poor reporting by Michael Smith. He heard that the duty on a pint of beer would go down by 1p, but instead of just reporting that he tried to make it something better than it was by claiming the price of a pint would go down by 1p.

He obviously has never been in a shop, otherwise he would know the amount tax goes up or down has no relation the the amount the shops increase the price by.
    ? Really? Really?
  • EycplUKEycplUK Forumite
    777 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    All the smokers tax will do is to increase the profits of the "man who has some..... " and give the ferry firms more business for smokers going to Belgium for the cheap baccy ie: Golden Virginia 50g at £5 as opposed to £15 odd in supermarkets !
    A Bast**d I May Be ! I Was Born One !
    Whats Your Excuse ?
  • welsheewelshee Forumite
    364 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Whats fags and pints of beer got to do with food shopping and groceries?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals