Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Where do I stand?

Hi Guys,

I feel very cheeky asking this but its worth a try. Yesterday I found out that I was a runner up on this comp:
http://comps.marieclaire.co.uk/competition/people_operator.php

Now the text does say 5 winners will get £100 credit, but at the bottom it says Five £100 Free PAYG SIMs x5. The winning email I received yesterday said:

Congratulations you are one of our winners and have won:

Five £100 Free PAYG Sims.

Today 1 x £100 sim has turned up. Is this worth pursuing?
2012 wins = £933 :j
2013 wins so far = £4,025 :j

July wins: Holiday to Marbella :j

Replies

• mar30mar30 Forumite
    210 Posts
    No, I don't think so
    2014 - £1236
  • May I ask why? There is a £400 difference in what I thought I'd won yesterday...

• cagsdcagsd Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I won, I won, I won!
    Forumite
    I read it to mean that five runners up would get a £100 card, not one would get five £100 cards. I'm fairly sure that's how it was meant to read, ie. "one of five".
  • Yes the text at the top of the comp post does say that, but the details of the prize at the bottom doesn't - it says Five x 5. Its obviously a miss print, but an annoying one, especially after the way the email I received was worded the same... never mind, live and learn I guess.

• RavenRaeRavenRae Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I read it as 5 winners of £100, but it wouldn't hurt to write back to say you got your prize and it's 1 x £100 could they confirm this is in fact correct as the wording had you thinking it was 5 x £100 ??
    "Knowledge will give you power, but character respect" ~ Bruce Lee
  • mar30mar30 Forumite
    210 Posts
    It would be strange if the runner up prize was worth more than the main prize, I think it's just badly written. x
    2014 - £1236
  • Marg2k8Marg2k8 Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I once had a similar email to say I had won 20 x £20 Poundland vouchers. Going on memory, I think the competition was for 20 prizes of £20 worth of vouchers. I didn't query it and in the end received £25 of Poundland vouchers. I reckon whoever was responsible for sending the email had simply copied and pasted the text from the competition post. Not really an accurate email, but I didn't think that it was worth arguing about, since I am sure that the original terms and conditions would have shown that I was not entitled to £400 worth.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals