Getting a mortgage when on tax credits

My husband and I separated last year. Both our names are on the mortgage but he wants to come off it. I am currently living in the family home with my 2 children age 9 and 11yrs paying the mortgage and all household bills with the only contribution from my ex being the monthly maintenance payments. I receive working and child tax credits along with my part time salary. My current mortgage lender, Barclays Woolwich, agreed in principle my mortgage application but it was later declined by the underwriter as she wasn't happy with the longevity of the tax credits in relation to the life of the mortgage. So after that not so brief explanation (!) does anyone know of mortgage lenders who are happy to lend to people on tax credits?? Thanks

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    What tax credits do you receive?

Working?

Child? If child, any element based on childcare cost?

As you've found, lenders will accept tax credits in principle, but in practice if they don't like your situation in particular, this could do with proper planning by a broker.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure