OPI vs Essie nail polish

I am after some good nail polishes, I've heard that OPI is good and long lasting, I've also seen some nice colours in the Essie range in Boots, but is this as good as OPI?

I basically want a mid pink colour, a deep red and a chocolate colour.

Comments

• Saturnalia
    Saturnalia Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    I haven't tried Essie (but it gets rave reviews) but I do like OPI. It goes on well, dries quickly, lasts a good length of time and the bottles have a few years shelf-life once opened. I've found China Glaze and Models Own are both cheaper and the same sort of quality, and have a great range of colours.
    Public appearances now involve clothing. Sorry, it's part of my bail conditions.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Funny stuff nail polish, what one person loves:j, another will hate with a passion:(

I have a rather large selection and like OPI (love the pro-wide brush), China Glaze, Zoya, Leighton Denny, Nails Inc and lots of others. Perhaps have a look around and choose one of the colours that you have on your list, each from a different brand and see how you go. If you have easy access to shops make a shortlist of some that you like and then Google (Brand name of polish review or swatches), you will then find swatches and comments by some of the many polish bloggers, before you buy.

Several people that I know swear by Barry M and say that they last for ages if used with a base and top coat.

For me a must have is a fast drying top coat, my two favourites are Nails Inc Caviar Top Coat and Seche Vite fast drying top coat. Shop around for these, particularly on internet as they are quite expensive, but a deal can usually be found somewhere or other.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I prefer Essie. Large Boots and Superdrugs now sell it for £7.99.

I wear polish on my toes only and Essie lasts longer than OPI for me.
  • I have some essie polishes as, after buying my first, which didn't chip easily I thought it was good.....but the other polishes just chipped easily :(

I have some opi ones but I don't think I have an actual polish on its own rather than effects and glitter but I love loads of the opi ones

Nails inc I don't like, I just don't think they are worth the money.

Models own are brill, and I have a couple no 7 ones, they have a lovely wide brush and actually, a lot of the boots 17ones are good too.

It's not always the price that makes a good polish.

Boots have 3 for 2 on makeup just now
    No more unnecessary toiletries Feb 2014 INS: 24 UU: 13. Mar 2014. INS: lost count, naughty step for me! UU: 8
  • Saturnalia
    Saturnalia Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    I got a Nails Inc freebie from a mag a few years ago and the polish just never set & dried fully. I tried a couple of different top coats but they just made it go gloopy. Even Seche Vite didn't work.

Yet people rave about NI so maybe I had a bad bottle? But it certainly didn't make me want to run out and spend a tenner on any more of theirs.
    Public appearances now involve clothing. Sorry, it's part of my bail conditions.
  • sofababe
    sofababe Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    I absolutely love Essie polishes!! I always use a base coat and quick drying top coat (Seche or Ciate) so any polish lasts at least 4-5 days. Essie is a little bit pricier than most, but if you want a bargain polish, from a great range I'd recommend Rimmel. Their brush is brilliant, the best I've found yet.

For your colour preferences I'd say go for Cascade Cool, Headmistress and Don't Sweater It from Essie.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure