Retirement planning for dummies

Options
I am in awe of those on this forum who have so much knowledge of financial planning. I have to be honest and say that so much of what is talked about is way over my head. Is there a book that folks would recommend where it assumes you know nothing? Sorry, there is no doubt threads asking the same but I am also rubbish at using the search function!
weight loss target 23lbs/49lb

Comments

• Drp8713
    Drp8713 Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why dont you save your money by not buying a book, tell us what retirement income you want to receive, your age, the amount of money you have to put away each month and what provisions you already have in place, that way we can help you with a plan for free
  • Lois_and_CK
    Options
    Plan now, retire happy by Alvin Hall.
  • globetraveller
    Options
    thanks for the recommendation.
    DRP- I want to take part here but feel I need to do some reading first so that I don't look stupid when I don't understand what folks are recommending!
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You wont look stupid. apart from D, and gadget who are an IFA and a tech genie, all of us were clueless at some point.

Do go off and read, and do look at other sites, but do tell us the basics in case we can help?

Age, assets, marital/dep status, work pension, any old ones, NICs, cash emergency pot, ISAs etc.
  • globetraveller
    Options
    Thanks- have the book ordered and will have a good read. We are reviewing OH's pension just now. I have a teacher's pension and we have 2 properties and some land abroad. Savings- poor so far but in 12 months time we will be able to put by about 1500 a month.this is worst case scenario. We are hoping that a major land investment we made is about to come good in the next year. IN addition We do have rental of just under £4000 net a year. This is not what we had hoped for but we did make our foreign investments right before the crash. On a positive, they haven't lost value but certainly haven't gained yet. As the two apartments are in capitals I would assume that they will eventually prove worthwhile. I have 7 years till retirement. OH has 14 years and is not looking to retire early as he loves his job. That is just a brief overview. I will give full details once I have do some reading and hopefully have a clearer idea of what I actually want to know :) I feel embarrassed to admit how little I know. But that is all about to change!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport