NI contributions

Options
Hi . New to the forum so apologise if my question has been asked before. I read on the site that I only need 30 years contributions to receive a full state pension. I have worked all my life and am now self employed, do I still need to pay national insurance contributions. I retire in 2018.

Comments

• purdyoaten
    purdyoaten Posts: 1,159 Forumite
    Options
    You do need 30 years contributions to qualify for the full pension in 2018. However, it is compulsory to pay NIC until you reach state pension age.
    There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who do not. :doh:
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    As part of the changes for Single Tier Pensions expected in April 2016 the requirement goes up from 30 to 35 years contributions.

The self employed contributions arent optional anyway are they?
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    purdyoaten wrote: »
    You do need 30 years contributions to qualify for the full pension in 2018. However, it is compulsory to pay NIC until you reach state pension age.

For the self-employed, Class 4 NI is payable in respect of the entire contribution year in which the person reaches state pension age. Class 2 ceases at state pension age - or earlier if they cease trading.

NI is meant to cover other things as well as a pension.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure