National Insurance contribution on pension

Options
I have just retired at the age of 60, I don't intend to work again (maybe a small part time job). I have worked full time for 44 years so I see no problems with my contribution towards my state pension. If I do not work again will my pension have NIC deducted from it? If so at what rate? Help please?!!!

Comments

• mania112
    mania112 Posts: 1,981 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Only tax is payable on pension income (if applicable) - no NICs in any case.
  • GP147
    Options
    Thank you, makes a difference not paying NIC
  • SeekTruth
    Options
    GP147 wrote: »
    ... I have worked full time for 44 years so I see no problems with my contribution towards my state pension....
    This is not necessarily true. Assuming you reach State Pension Age after April 2016 then a initial entitlement (Foundation Amount) will be calculated on transition to Single Tier Pension. The Foundation Amount is actually the higher of two different calculations, one based on the current pension system and one based on the new Single Tier system. If you were ever Contracted Out then a Rebate Derived Amount will be subtracted from the calculation on the Single Tier basis. This could mean that you will need extra NI years after 2016 to reach the full Single Tier pension.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    While NI is not payable on pension income, it is on employment income if you have not reached state pension age.
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/intro/basics.htm
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SeekTruth wrote: »
    This is not necessarily true. Assuming you reach State Pension Age after April 2016 then a initial entitlement (Foundation Amount) will be calculated on transition to Single Tier Pension. The Foundation Amount is actually the higher of two different calculations, one based on the current pension system and one based on the new Single Tier system. If you were ever Contracted Out then a Rebate Derived Amount will be subtracted from the calculation on the Single Tier basis. This could mean that you will need extra NI years after 2016 to reach the full Single Tier pension.

That suggests that someone who was contracted out for a significant number of years will be worse off if they retire after April 2016, compared to before then. I thought there would be no substantial difference, unless you had many years to go to reach spa.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,241 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    JohnB47 wrote: »
    That suggests that someone who was contracted out for a significant number of years will be worse off if they retire after April 2016, compared to before then. I thought there would be no substantial difference, unless you had many years to go to reach spa.

They will be no worse off if they retire soon after April 2016 compared with before BUT they will be worse off in terms of state pension compared with people who didnt contract out. BUT (again) the difference should be made up, or more, by their contracted out pension. BUT (yet again) people with contracted out DB pensions wont directly see this benefit as their contracted out pension is already considered to include the contracted out pension. BUT people with large contracted out pensions do have the opportunity to earn extra NI years beyond the 35 base up to the point where they do get the increased basic SP.

So lots of swings and roundabouts.
  • SeekTruth
    Options
    Linton wrote: »
    They will be no worse off if they retire soon after April 2016 compared with before ...

So lots of swings and roundabouts.

To add a few more swings, or is it roundabouts?

Those reaching State Pension Age on 6th April 2016 when compared with those reaching SPA on 5th April 2016 will suffer if:
    a) they defer their pension and opt for an increased pension
    b) they pre-decease their spouse (obviously it is the spouse that suffers here unless the pensioner puts aside savings, or takes other steps, to compensate)
    c) they have any GMP (ie were contracted out of SERPS at any time between April 1978 and April 1997)
  • JohnB47
    Options
    SeekTruth wrote: »
    To add a few more swings, or is it roundabouts?

Those reaching State Pension Age on 6th April 2016 when compared with those reaching SPA on 5th April 2016 will suffer if:
    a) they defer their pension and opt for an increased pension
    b) they pre-decease their spouse (obviously it is the spouse that suffers here unless the pensioner puts aside savings, or takes other steps, to compensate)
    c) they have any GMP (ie were contracted out of SERPS at any time between April 1978 and April 1997)

Thanks folks.

I think I will be in camp c). I was in the BT scheme (The Post office to start with) from 1973 to 1998 and have been in receipt of my BT pension since 2001, aged 50. Presumably I was contracted out for all of that time?

So I will be worse off reaching spa in December 2016, compared to someone in the exact same circumstances reaching spa before April 2016? Nothing I can do about it of course.
  • JohnB47
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »

Thanks.

Actually I left BT in 1998. Was unemployed for about 10 months, then took part time work (no pension contributions) for about a year. Then unemployed for about 6 months, then employed part time (contributing to local govmt. pension scheme) for 6 years (2002 - 2008), then made redundant. Unemployed for about 5 months, then started working part time for NHS in 2009. Still working for them and contributing to their pension scheme (five years now).

Yes I have had pension statements, the most recent was for the period to April 2013, which said (in summary):

"We estimate that your State Pension, based on your National Insurance contributions record to date, is £127.92 a week.

The amount of basic State Pension you get depends on how many qualifying years you have on your National Insurance contributions record. You currently need 30 qualifying years to get a full basic State Pension, worth £110.15 a week.

So far you have 42 qualifying years, worth £110.15 a week.

You may get Graduated Retirement Benefit if you paid graduated National Insurance contributions between 6 April 1961 and 5 April 1975.

We estimate that your additional State Pension and Graduated Retirement Benefit, based on your National Insurance contributions record to date, is £17.77 a week.

The amount of additional State Pension could be lower than the estimate shown in this statement, especially if you were contracted out of the additional State Pension anytime between 6 April 1978 and 5 April 1997. "

After reading a lot of posts on this I decided that it didn't really matter which side of April 2016 you retired, if it was only a few months one side or the other. You might be up a few quid or down a few. The recent posts on this thread seem to suggest differently.

Is there any way to estimate, from my forecast and my employment history, what my pension would actually be?

Cheers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport