Most passengers don’t know their train refund rights – find out yours

Options
"More than three-quarters of rail passengers don't know their rights when trains are delayed or cancelled..."
Read the full story:

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Note that delay repay is only 50% and 100% for delays of 30+ or 60+ minutes when using a single tickets. It alternatively pays 25% and 50% of a return, or a fraction of a season ticket.

"delays of more than 60 minutes" in the article should actually be "60 minutes or more"

If delayed in both directions, then you can claim in both directions.

Southern and maybe others will allow vouchers to be traded-in for cash at their ticket offices.

What I find most frustrating is that a delay of 10 minutes every day is considered not worth compensation, whilst a one-off 30 minute delay pays compensation. There needs to be some sort of compensation for cumulative delays.
    Or better yet, fewer delays!
  • portlandboy
    Options
    My 15 year old son has been making regular train journeys alone since last November. Without fail, he has encountered a delay or cancellation on every out or return trip, yet it is only about40 miles each way. We wait with him until the train leaves in case it's delayed and arrange with him to be on a certain train for the return trip.
    My question is, as he travels on an "anytime" ticket can the return delays be claimed for or would the claim be invalid if a later/earlier train was still on time? Would the operator simply say that hr didn't have to get the delayed train. How could we prove that he was going to get the only delayed service?
    Note to Self: When posting, remember to keep within "forum rules" to avoid upsetting other "interested parties"
  • Mobeer
    Options
    portlandboy, Yes you can claim with any anytime ticket. If both trains are delayed then claim for both journeys.
  • Free_time
    Free_time Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 February 2014 at 12:51AM
    Options
    Never knew about this, but will claim the next time a train is late.

Is there a similar law that affects late scheduled coach services such as Megabus ?
    something missing
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    After spending two hours on a train which then reversed out to the starting station, I rebooked to the next day

I tried to persuade my mother to claim for bad delays on the way to Gatwick and much worse ones on the way back, which involved me driving 40 miles and she and a friend changing trains 3 or 4 times for what should have been a direct trip, being about 2 hours late, and a lot of time sat stationary with ambiguous or ever changing announcements.

But she said it wasn't worth bothering.

What really didn't impress me while I was waiting at what had become their destination station was a gloating station announcement by one train company about delays to services operated by another.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We got compo from East Coast trains for a delay but it came in vouchers that you can only use by booking over the phone, and it has to be more than 6 weeks from when you want to travel.
    Now I am going to use a word that I don't use often, this is a CON!
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • Mobeer
    edited 24 February 2014 at 11:56PM
    Options
    stoneman wrote: »
    We got compo from East Coast trains for a delay but it came in vouchers that you can only use by booking over the phone, and it has to be more than 6 weeks from when you want to travel.
    Now I am going to use a word that I don't use often, this is a CON!

Odd - East Coast Trains say they repay with vouchers:

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/delayrepay
    "Any successful claims will be reimbursed in National Rail Travel Vouchers "

that can be used much more flexibly:
    http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/45185.aspx
    "They can be exchanged for ticket(s) to travel on National Rail services.
    They can be exchanged at station booking offices or through some Telesales – if purchasing through a Telesales Department enough time must be allowed for processing, this can be up to 14 days. (Please check with the specific retailer)."

From East Coast Trains itself:
    http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/miscellaneous-pages/faq/?faq=281
    "How can I use the National Rail Travel Vouchers?
    These vouchers are valid for 12 months and can be used with any UK Train Operating Company; excluding the London Underground and Heathrow and Gatwick Express.
    You can use the vouchers towards the cost of tickets purchased at any manned station. The vouchers can also be used on-board to purchase items from the buffet car."
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 February 2014 at 12:39AM
    Options
    Mobeer wrote: »
    Odd - East Coast Trains say they repay with vouchers:

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/delayrepay
    "Any successful claims will be reimbursed in National Rail Travel Vouchers "

that can be used much more flexibly:
    http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/45185.aspx
    "They can be exchanged for ticket(s) to travel on National Rail services.
    They can be exchanged at station booking offices or through some Telesales – if purchasing through a Telesales Department enough time must be allowed for processing, this can be up to 14 days. (Please check with the specific retailer)."

From East Coast Trains itself:
    http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/miscellaneous-pages/faq/?faq=281
    "How can I use the National Rail Travel Vouchers?
    These vouchers are valid for 12 months and can be used with any UK Train Operating Company; excluding the London Underground and Heathrow and Gatwick Express.
    You can use the vouchers towards the cost of tickets purchased at any manned station. The vouchers can also be used on-board to purchase items from the buffet car."

I don't know what bit is odd. You have stated what I said that they issue comp in vouchers. The only discrepancy is how long in advance you have to use them. My vouchers say that if I use them from telesales and have to allow "up to" 6 weeks for them to be validated. If you use them at a station this would "usually" exclude you from buying an advance ticket as I assume most people wouldn't do a special trip to a station to do this in advance.
    There was no letter with the vouchers saying I could use them for payment of goods on the train, do I get change in cash if I do this?
    The only terms are those that are printed on the vouchers.
    It is not up to me to go to their website to get the nuts and bolts of how the vouchers can be used.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • iAMaLONDONER
    Options
    "More than three-quarters of rail passengers don't know their rights when trains are delayed or cancelled..."
    Read the full story:

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Unfortunately this doesn't mention anything about if you used an oyster card to pay for your train travel.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately this doesn't mention anything about if you used an oyster card to pay for your train travel.
    Obtain journey history and enclose that. The easiest way to do this is to register your Oyster Card online.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure