Shyness/poor social skills/social anxiety/Asperger Syndrome & interviews/applications

Options
124»

Comments

• CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    I cant' say that I think saying that you suffer from depression or social anxiety would be a winner really. One is not supposed to discriminate against disability, but most commercial employers would look at that and think 'THEY'LL BE OFF LONG TERM SICK' although the refusal to offer would be based on other grounds.

anewman, you had useful feedback from Huddersfield. Although YOU think you could have done the job and were just discriminated against in interview, the employer thinks you couldn't because you needed to be able to communicate with others to explain queries. The guy's not saying that to you just for a laugh. He meant it.

I think you're absolutely right to look for deskbased work. You clearly have a high literacy level (not always the case with a degree) and all I can do is remake my previous suggestion, that you get some specific advice re jobs that will require very little, or no, interaction with others or that provide written output only.
  • **woody123**
    **woody123** Posts: 598 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    CFC wrote: »
    I cant' say that I think saying that you suffer from depression or social anxiety would be a winner really. One is not supposed to discriminate against disability, but most commercial employers would look at that and think 'THEY'LL BE OFF LONG TERM SICK' although the refusal to offer would be based on other grounds.

anewman, you had useful feedback from Huddersfield. Although YOU think you could have done the job and were just discriminated against in interview, the employer thinks you couldn't because you needed to be able to communicate with others to explain queries. The guy's not saying that to you just for a laugh. He meant it.

I think you're absolutely right to look for deskbased work. You clearly have a high literacy level (not always the case with a degree) and all I can do is remake my previous suggestion, that you get some specific advice re jobs that will require very little, or no, interaction with others or that provide written output only.

What CFC said in that last paragraph makes alot of sense..

But when i started my desk based job 9 nine years ago i planned to do just that sit at a desk and talk when spoken to and not answer the phone at any cost. But after time my confidence grew and i actually felt i was an asset to the company, i now answer the phone, speak to work colleagues alot more and interact with customers.

What i'm trying to say is if someone did employ you it may help you get through your shyness you just need to get that all important job first..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure