Worried Venue Will Stick to Guns

Options
anotheruser
anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 31 January 2014 at 6:55PM in Weddings & anniversaries
I am a bit worried the reception venue will stick to their guns and not deviate from the package we're looking at.

We want to trade one item with the package above (the price difference is negligible) and trade another item from the package below if we can (so it would be beneficial for the venue).

Do you think they would?

I know it's hard without me asking the venue and I do wish I would have asked these things before stumping up a deposit but then we're lucky to get where we have as our wedding is sooner than 2 years, when most people seem to have booked reception venues!

We'd like to add some extra drinks at the wedding breakfast but I don't think the venue will allow as they would want to get revenue from the bar in the next room. I just don't want some of the kids to be short on juice.

I also don't think they would allow us to add items to the evening buffet. We're having a hog roast but wanted to add a few other bits like mini pizzas and sausage rolls, but they have those on a buffet menu.

I don't want to go in demanding all this stuff but I do want to get what I want.

Any advice?

Comments

• flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you want to add more drinks thats fine, but they will charge you. You cant expect to bring your own stuff in, if selling drink is how they make their money. However most venues know their clientele, so will know how much stuff normally gets drunk, so id be surprised if their 'package' isnt adequate.

Adding extras to a set meal just causes problems. Guests will always help themselves to everything, so have both hog roast and pizza. Meaning you either have to provide enough for everyone to have both, or still be prepared for kids or those who dont want hogroast, to not have anything to eat as its all gone anyway

However if you dont ask, you wont know. If they wont budge, is it that much of a deal breaker?
  • rachiibell
    Options
    I think you just need to tell them what you want and they'll tell you how they can do it eg you'll need to pay x amount or drop x from your package. Good luck and I hope you get the day you want!
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well, had an email back from the venue and they won't really budge, which I am very surprised about.

One item in the package will cost them about £400 (at least!), yet we want to swap it for something that will cost them just £350 :S

Shame but we have a meeting with them soon so maybe we can sort it a bit more face to face.
  • Tashatutuw
    Options
    Well, had an email back from the venue and they won't really budge, which I am very surprised about.

One item in the package will cost them about £400 (at least!), yet we want to swap it for something that will cost them just £350 :S

Shame but we have a meeting with them soon so maybe we can sort it a bit more face to face.

I found when dealing with my original reception venue (who went into liquidation ?luckily) they were a bit like this by email. Negotiations are often easier in person as you can do it properly, rather than asking it as a yes or no you can pose it as 'we were thinking... x, y, z... what could you suggest' - let them work for you. Ask open questions which don't allow them to just shoot you down in flames.
    :j Married to the Love of my Life 02.08.2014 - Now I'm Mrs E :j

"You shall not be tested with more than you can tolerate even if you don't know it at the time"

14 Projects in 2014 - 7/14 (not quite so optimistic!) :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport