Natural Shampoo

Options
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone used any natural shampoos as opposed to the chemical ones? I use I Am Organic Lavender and Geranium shampoo, but I've been using it for just over a year and my hair isn't quite getting as clean as it used to with it, so was wondering if anyone had some other suggestions.

I've got very sensitive skin and can't use anything with sodium laureth sulphate or perfume, if anyone could help I'd be very grateful :)
Grocery budget in 2023 £2279.18/£2700

Grocery budget in 2022 £2304.76/£2400
Grocery budget in 2021 £2107.86/£2200
Grocery budget in 2020 £2193.02/£2160

Saving for Christmas 2023 #15 £ 90/ £365

Comments

• belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've got a very sensitive scalp but for some reason I can use Tgel shampoo tho I can't use most others. Might be worth a try? Holland and Barret do an aloe vera shampoo that doesn't have sls if this helps, it doesn't bother my scalp too much anyway. Sorry not to come up with any non-chemical ones, the local healthfood shop was helpful for me on this but actually the green people one I ended up with was a bit harsh.

It's a real pain isn't it...
  • Justie
    Justie Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    Options
    try Aveda - not cheap if you buy the little bottles but a 1l bottle lasts 2 of us with daily washing for about 9 months and costs £24

Rosemary and Mint is particularly good for sensitive scalps
  • Toonie
    Toonie Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oh, its a huge pain, especially as I have to be so careful about everything I use. I used to use baby shampoo, but even that I could only tolerate in small doses and so searched for natural shampoos. I also tried the whole "not really washing your hair" deal....didn't work as I've got such long thick hair, it just became thicker and lank. I may have a pop into H&B next time I go past one and check out the shampoo.

• Justie
    Justie Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    Options
    baby shampoos are usually mineral oil based and rely on SLSes so it's no wonder you had problems with them - any off the shelf shampoo will be SLS based so you'll just keep having the same problems.
  • Toonie
    Toonie Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Justie, I had never been able to work out what my problems were with shampoos (and most other things) until researching more, when I did find out I stopped using them and searched around to find something better for me. Thanks for the tip about Aveda, will have to take a look.

• ktb
    ktb Posts: 487 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I decided to cut out SLS's etc from my hair and skin care products and had the same struggle with shampoo and conditioner. Tried the Green People ones but really didnt like what they did to my hair and after a while got very fed up so decided to splash out on the Aveda stuff. I love it and for me it is now a very justifiable expense. Unfortunately my boyfriend tried it when his cheapy stuff had run out one day (he has very big curly hair) and he couldnt believe the difference and is now addicted to it too...so haircare it has become rather expensive in our house!

The other natural range that I use is Jason Organics... I use their shower gels & moisturisers but never got round to trying the shampoos... might be a chaper option for you?

*Jasons Hair Care*
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think I have to try aveda now too :) I use very little shampoo and washing every day makes my scalp problems worse so it would hopefully last a long time. The only MS upside to a sensitive scalp is that I can't use any other hair products either so I save money there :)
  • lushlifesaver
    lushlifesaver Posts: 2,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LUSH do solid and liquid shampoos that are natural and vegetarian some are even vegan! the solid ones are especially good value s you can get 100+ washes from them (i use their 2-in-1 one) :D
    xR
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • jhc1975
    Options
    :j I think Aveda/Jason have already been mentioned but also brands like Dr Hauschka, Burts Bees, Green People, Lavera, Neals Yard remedies. They all avoid the nasty SLS and other chemicals.

Watch out for Lush stuff though. Some of it still has SLS/parabens in it.

I had similar problems to you and switched to chemical free stuff about a year ago. It lasts a lot longer, smells great and is much kinder to your skin. The only down side is it costs more and when you're a beauty product addict like me it gets very expensive! They do last longer because you don't have to use anywhere near as much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure